Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Front Side Bus speed

• Please log in to reply

inthesault

inthesault

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am new to DIY computer building. I have chosen the XFX nForce 680i LT mobo and the Q6600 CPU. my question is the Mobo FSB speed is 1333MHz and the CPU FSB speed is 1066MHz...is this a problem? :)

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
680i boards support both 1066 and 1333mhz FSB.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

A little further explanation, to add to Titan's correct answer. A FSB rating on the motherboard will give you the highest compatible result available, so pretty much everything below that will be compatible as well. Of course, there may be some that won't work, so make sure you double-check (explained below). For example, an old Pentium 4 with an 800MHz FSB will also work in that motherboard.

The same rationale can be found with RAM, also. The XFX motherboard you are looking at supports DDR2 memory up to 800MHz. You would be able to install 667MHz DDR2 memory with no problems.

The easiest way to check is to navigate your web browser to the manufacturer's webpage for the component. In your case, this link takes you to the specifications of the motherboard, where we find this information:

Supported CPUs
Intel Core 2 Extreme (dual and quad core), Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, Celeron D, Pentium 4, Pentium 4, Pentium D 9XX, Pentium D 8XX

As your Q6600 is a Core 2 Quad, you can see this is supported. :)

Cheers

Troy