Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Bootup Help

• Please log in to reply

maximum7

maximum7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am having a problem with my HP Pavilion a650y desktop computer (Windows XP) and am looking for some help. About 2 weeks ago I shut down my computer because I was traveling. I left for 2 weeks with the computer shut down but plugged into a surge protector and then into the wall. Upon my return, when I press the power button, there is not response whatsoever from the computer - no sounds, lights, fans, etc. The same happens when I plug the computer straight into the wall and try to boot up. Looking around to the back of the computer, just below where the power cord connects there is a small green light. While the computer is connected to a power source, this green light clicks and flashes quickly.

While I was gone for 2 weeks I am told that the power went out a few times.

Can anyone offer some ideas as to what this might be?

Thank you for your time!

-Max

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Moral of the story: Unplug the computer from the surge protector and the wall if you're going to leave it for an extended period of time.
Sounds like the power outages have upset the power supply, which will need replacing. See if you can borrow a working one from a friend and see if it fires up your computer.