Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAFE MODE?

• Please log in to reply

KriStaBeLL312

KriStaBeLL312

• Pip
  • 7 posts
HELLO AGAIN! MY COMPUTER DOES A SCAN EVERY SO OFTEN (NOT NORTON, BUT ANOTHER SIMILAR PROGRAM) IT RAN ONE 2 NIGHTS AGO, AFTER IT WAS DONE IT HAD REMOVED MY BACKGROUND, AND AFTER SHUTTING IT DOWN & STARTING IT BACK UP IT NOW WILL ONLY RUN IN SAFE MODE. HOW DO I EITHER A) FIX IT OR B) GET IT BACK TO RUNNING NORMALLY?? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!! :) :)

Advertisements

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
Just a quick suggestion. Try using the restore program in vista and then uninstalling the program which caused the problem.

KriStaBeLL312

KriStaBeLL312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi
Just a quick suggestion. Try using the restore program in vista and then uninstalling the program which caused the problem.

THANK YOU =] HOW DO I KNOW WHICH PROGRAM CAUSED A PROBLEM?

KriStaBeLL312

KriStaBeLL312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I HAVE TRIED SYSTEM RESTORE BACK TO 2 DIFFERENT POINTS. THE FIRST ONE DIDN'T WORK, BUT THE SECOND ONE COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY, BUT STILL DID NOT TAKE ME OUT OF SAFE MODE.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

KriStaBeLL312

KriStaBeLL312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
THE WORD SAFE MODE IS NOT IN ALL 4 CORNERS..IT APPEARS TO BE THAT WAY, THOUGH. ALL ICONS, PICTURES, & FONT IS LARGE. I'VE RECENTLY LEARNED THAT IT COULD BE FROM A VIDEO DRIVER, BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX THE RESOLUTION, OR IF THAT WOULD EVEN MATTER...SOMEONE PLEASE READ THIS & HELP ME!!!

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Hi KriStaBeLL312,

First, please press on the "Caps Lock" button (on your keyboard), and unlock caps.

Question......Have you tried restarting your computer, then pressing the "Enter" button (on the keyboard) when the screen says 'Start in normal mode'?

KriStaBeLL312

KriStaBeLL312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi KriStaBeLL312,

First, please press on the "Caps Lock" button (on your keyboard), and unlock caps.

Question......Have you tried restarting your computer, then pressing the "Enter" button (on the keyboard) when the screen says 'Start in normal mode'?

Yes, I've restarted my computer several times, and I've also tried starting it in normal mode. It didn't make a difference.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi
My assumption is the scanning program that you used? You didn't state the name of the program but uninstall it and see if that corrects your problem.

uncleyuk

uncleyuk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:) Have your rebooted, pressed the F8 key and then highlighted "start in last known good configuration", or something like that. If that doesn't work go to system restore and select one of the highlighted dates to start from. If that works, update your video card.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Additionally, if you can't find an updated driver for your video card, try right clicking on the desktop>personalize>display settings, and changing the resolution to something less large. Definitely figure out and uninstall whatever scanning program you used that screwed all this up, cause it sounds like it is more trouble than it's worth. Alternatively, if you are in fact starting in safe mode, one of the first things that should pop up on the desktop is the Windows Help & Support window, if you aren't in safe mode, then you should be able to tell at the very least by it not being there, and your sound working, as safe mode usually does not load sound drivers...

CAPS LOCK = off

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

THE WORD SAFE MODE IS NOT IN ALL 4 CORNERS..IT APPEARS TO BE THAT WAY, THOUGH. ALL ICONS, PICTURES, & FONT IS LARGE. I'VE RECENTLY LEARNED THAT IT COULD BE FROM A VIDEO DRIVER, BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIX THE RESOLUTION, OR IF THAT WOULD EVEN MATTER...SOMEONE PLEASE READ THIS & HELP ME!!!

Hi

Vista dosen't have safe mode in the corners like XP.

Once your in safe mode try this;
Click your start (ball)
Click computer
right click your C drive
Select Properties
Select the Tools tab
Select check now
Continue on the security tab
Tick both boxes

The computer will ask if you want to check at next boot select yes, then restart your computer.
Once your computer starts rebooting it will go through a series of checks and correct any errors it finds.

Hope this helps
Hidyjane