Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking issue

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Posted Image

okay so my network is currently setup like what you see above, now I want to run an Ethernet cable between the vista computer and the server computer (the red line) so I can avoid going through the slow [bleep] DSL router which of course is riddled with bugs like most all of them, and get a much faster transfer rate between the two.... how would I go about doing that? both motherboards already support multiple Ethernet.

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You'll need a "crossover" cable to connect 2 NICs directly. Since these two interfaces won't use the router for DHCP address assignment, you'll need to configure them manually.

Edited by 98springer, 26 March 2008 - 10:04 PM.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
okay the question is how do I configure it manually like you say, I made a crossover cable, connected it and then when I connect it I can no longer access the internet on either of the two computers, because the crossover connection is 10 times faster windows automatically defaults to the fastest connected for everything. is there a smarter way to do this? how would I configure it?