Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System hangs when rendering in PowerDirector 6

• Please log in to reply

Sharon1411

Sharon1411

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been trying to render a bunch of 1GB VOB files into DV-AVI files with Cyberlink PowerDirector6 (had same problem with PowerDirector5).

Apparently, when the rendered file, named Produce.avi, reaches 3,983,453KB it switches to a second file named Produce(0).avi . At this switching point, my system almost always hangs. On occassion, after much hesitation, it continues past that point, but then usually hangs at 99% produced. It seems to have trouble "closing off" the DV-AVI files. After endless attempts, some have rendered through completely, but though I change nothing, the next file I try to render will hang again. I have no trouble rendering into MPEG.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with 3GB RAM. I have tried updating all the drivers, cleaning my registry with Fix-it Utilities 8 Professional (though I'm afraid to do anything but the safest repairs), cleaned and defragged my hard drives. I'm saving to a 500GB external hard drive with plenty of space. The program is running on an 80GB hard drive with 26GB free.

I've been communicating with Cyberlink customer support, but no breakthrough yet.

What am I missing?

I've attach a DxDiag file.

Attached Files

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Don't convert video files to an external drive as that takes time and needs a faster HDD speed which your internal HDD can offer. So make sure you convert these files on your internal drives not external. If you need to buy another internal drive because you have no space do so as they come cheap now. You can get a 100GB HDD for about $50 or less. External HDD speed is never reliable when doing conversions or editing. They're only good for reading and writing (ie: copy and paste or watching video/listening to mp3s).

Your pc isn't the problem since you have a whopping 3GB and quite a good DELL rig. Don't use the program you are using now as it might have bugs that Cyberlink hasn't gotten rid of yet. Remember there is no software that is bug free. There will always be certain problems, loopholes, or things you can't do in all software. I'd say try another program out there. I wouldn't be able to recommend one because it would be up to you as to which one you think is right/reputable to go with. There is a massive software database at www.downloads.com where you can search for many conversion programs through the "video editing software/conversion" selections on the left side of the website. Also check out the world's greatest video help website which has massive software links/help/info www.videohelp.com

Aside from all of that you may just have damaged VOB files and that is why they won't convert. But I'd try other software and an internal HDD before I'd stop trying.

Hope all goes well!

Sharon1411

Sharon1411

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Right you are! Thank you so much! If I knew you, I'd buy you lunch.

Originally, my system was hanging when I saved to the C drive, but I did most of the driver updates and memory increase after switching to the external hard drive, so I had unwittingly created a new obstacle.

After rendering without a problem to the C drive, I tried to move the 7GB rendered file to the external drive, but was unable to. I've now learned that this is due its FAT32 formatting. I now realize that the file size limit was probably causing the problem.

Thanks also for the site references. I'm sure to find them useful.

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm glad to have helped. & where's my lunch?? :)