Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do You Defragment An External Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi everyone I recently purchased a 500GB Segate Free Agent Pro external USB hard drive. I'd like to know how I can defragment it for optimal performance being that it's an external USB drive and not internal.

I opened up windows xp's defragment software in my accessories and my external drive did indeed show up in the list. But is it safe to use the windows xp tool? I don't want to damage it!

- Thanks

Edited by superstar, 28 March 2008 - 01:30 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Quite safe, superstar. Only difference you'll notice is it will take a fair bit longer since the data takes longer to be shifted around via a USB interface compared to a SATA or PATA interface; though that will also depend, of course, on how much data there is to deal with.

Edited by pip22, 28 March 2008 - 01:12 PM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I'm a piriform fan, and have used their "Defraggler" on my flashdrives and external drive. I highly recommend it for use if you don't want to use XP's.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

I'm a piriform fan, and have used their "Defraggler" on my flashdrives and external drive. I highly recommend it for use if you don't want to use XP's.

I can only find a Beta version?

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

I can only find a Beta version?

The beta will work fine. :)