Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a repair of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Mikey's gal

Mikey's gal

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I was helped by a very nice person yesterday who desperately tried to help me fix my Uncle's computer. We got down to the conclusion, I suppose, that it needs a repair. I really don't know since I was kinda left hanging as to what to do. No doubt, that person is stumped, too.

Anyone have any helpful ideas. I would love to fix this and get it right. Thanks a whole lot.

http://www.geekstogo...st-t192642.html

I hope that address takes you to the post. If not look up Mikey's gal topics and then yesterdays date. 3/27/08

(I don't know why I am telling you whiz's how to look something up ... lol)

Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Mikey's gal...

What kind of machine are we working on? Is it a brand name machine like HP or Dell? The make and model number may be helpful to us.

The "noisy tower" concerns me. Can you describe the noise you are hearing for us?

Click on Start, then All Programs. Right click on the Startup folder and choose "Open". What do you see in this folder?

wannabe1

Mikey's gal

Mikey's gal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have been gone all day. It is XP. The noises are like hissing and clicks. It doesn't make them all the time. It even sounds like melting occasionally. I know it isn't, but that is the best I can describe the sound it makes to that effect.

I will try to turn it on and see what happens. If you read my post from last night that was where I left it. I shut it down after I didn't get a response.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks again.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi wannabe1 methinks it be fixed now - it was just a very clogged system with most of the fan noise being from cooling down the HDD as it was thrashing around. Currently finishing off in malware with no further untoward ocurrences (yet) so I do not feel a repair install is required ( I went to bed after my last post last night - I needed my beauty sleep :) ) A good spring clean appears to have done the trick