Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 disabled after startup by hijack

• Please log in to reply

jkrsr

jkrsr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Win 98 startsup, then the desktop wallpaper is the only thing visible on the screen. There are no icons, no start button, no taskbar; just a pic of a sportscar that was downloaded from the internet. The mouse/cursor moves OK, but there is nothing to click on. Left and right clicking brings up nothing. No keyboard keys have any effect, except CTL-ALT-DEL, which after the first click, shows no programs running and after the second click, reboots the system. Sorry, but I am unable to run any diagnostic such as Hijack-This. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you boot into safe mode or dos (command line)? Barring that, do you have another machine that you can download a bootdisk with (www.bootdisk.com) get a windows 98 se bootdisk

jkrsr

jkrsr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi and thanks for responding jerryf:

Yes, I can boot into safe mode and also to a DOS prompt. I downloaded a bootdisk as well. :tazz:

Any way to find the culprit?

Thanks much,
Kevin

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, I was not specific enough...does safe mode display the same problem? (no icons...)

jkrsr

jkrsr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When in safe mode, the screen has the same characteristics as normal mode; that is: no icons, no buttons, no taskbar. Only the wallpaper picture, centered, with a blank-black backround. The mouse cursor can move freely, however, right or left clicks of the mouse do not bring up anything at all. There is no way, that I know of, to access any programs or utilities. The computer is stopped at the desktop page as normally seen after booting up the computer.

I was thinking that possibly erasing the picture file of the desktop wallpaper might alleviate the problem. I have searched through directories, after booting up in DOS and haven't found the location of the wallpaper picture files.

UPDATE: While reading through advice that was given to other people with somewhat similar problems, I saw some advice that said to "hit CTRL-ALT-DEL as soon as the desktop appears and see what programs are running". Well I did that and it show "Mprexe" in the Close Program window. Shall I track it down and remove it?
:tazz:

Edited by jkrsr, 27 April 2005 - 12:14 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start with bootdisk from ww.bootdisk.com

at a:\prompt, type
edit system.ini
look for
shell=explorer.exe
change it to
shell=progman.exe

hit ALT, then F, then scroll down to save

Reboot.

Windows will load with a progrman as the shell.

click the FILE > RUN, then browse button

navigate to c:\windows\windows~1, locate iesetup6.exe, run that.

when it finishes, reboot, using the floppy, return to the above step and use
edit system.ini
change it back to explorer.exe
save, reboot

Fix it?

jkrsr

jkrsr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
YES! Jerryg, you are a genius!

That computer is up and running just like before this all started. That is amazing.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Great!