Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What ADSL2+ speed should i be getting?

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hello all

I Just got ADSL2+ with TPG. I Have a Netgear DG834g v2 router with latest firmware. I ran a test on speedtest.net and my download speed is on an average 7500kbps. I Downloaded an Itunes execute file just for testing purposes and it downloads at about 700kbps. I feel I should be getting faster speed though. Can anyone tell me wether i should or not?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think you're confusing 'download speed' with 'bandwidth'. If your 'download' speed at speedtest.net was, as you claim, 7500 kilobytes/sec, that would mean your 'bandwidth' was a whopping 60Mbits -- impossible even on ADSL2+ which, even under ideal conditions, maxes out at around 24Mbits bandwidth.

You probably mean your 'bandwidth' is 7500Kbits (7.5Mbits), in which case the download speed would be in the region of 930Kbytes/sec.
Your download of the Itunes file was a little less than that which is to be expected since other factors have to be taken into account such as how fast the file-server is where you got the file from, how heavily it was being used at the time by other downloaders, and congestion within the internet infrastructure. Downloading a file from Microsoft would probably show a figure nearer to 930Kbytes/sec since they must have some of the most powerful file-servers in the world, but even the download speed of your iTunes file is pretty much about right for your bandwidth.

You should learn to not to say "download speed" when referring to a figure which denotes 'bandwidth' (and vice versa). The two terms are technically not interchangeable even though many people talk as though they are the same. It's a recipe for confusion & misunderstanding. No offence intended.

Edited by pip22, 29 March 2008 - 05:54 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

I think the confusion here lies with speedtest.net. All it spits out is a ping, a download speed, and an upload speed. Of course, they are provided in kb/s, which is usually a measure of bandwidth. It's like me telling pip22 that the speed limit on most major US highways is 65. Of course, 65 km/h isn't very fast, which could lead to some confusion.

As for me, speedtest spits out a "download" of 9700 kb/s, which is bandwidth, which pip22 has explained. The big thing is KB (kiloBYTES) vs. kb(kiloBITS). ugh. See this diagram for a more in-depth look at the difference.

[note: the above link is for entertainment purposes, and is not meant for actual consideration in KB vs kb.]

Edited by The Admiral, 29 March 2008 - 11:07 PM.