Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i find my IP address

• Please log in to reply

Hexzar

Hexzar

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
I want to know my own IP address without having any access to the internet. Lets say i have a new laptop, i connect to the internet, then i disconnect.

Now is there anyway i can find out what my own ip address is?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well, that's an interesting question. Your service provider assigns your IP and most of them use dynamic assignments which means your IP changes all the time. If you are on a router you have a local address and the router has a wide area address. You could find the wide area address by accessing the router setup page, the same is true for the local address.

If you're in Windows, open the run box, type in cmd and hit OK, when the prompt comes up type in

ipconfig /all

and hit the enter key. It will tell you all your protocols..

sanosukez

sanosukez

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i think if u type ipconfig /all it wont give u ur external IP if u are behind a routher.it can be found either in the routher setting.or tru www.whatismyip.com.

Btw if u are Disconnected from the internet and not behind a routher ur IP is 127.0.0.1.

Edited by sanosukez, 31 March 2008 - 02:38 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
IPCONFIG Will give you your internal IP address if you're connected to a router.
However on providers where you're connected to the internet (such as dial-up or USB modem) it will give you the IP address at the time you request it. Bear in mind this will probably get assigned to somebody else as soon as you disconnect.

rose123

rose123

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I want to know my own IP address without having any access to the internet. Lets say i have a new laptop, i connect to the internet, then i disconnect.

Now is there anyway i can find out what my own ip address is?

Its easy to find the ip address of a computer ...there are two type of Ip address available ,Internal Ip and External IP ..Internal ip is the computer own ip ...external ip is provided bu the internet service provider ....To know the internal ip means follow the steps
1.Go to start button in your computer
2.click run button,type"cmd" it.command prompt will display on screen
3.Type Ipconfig command in the command prompt it will display the internal IP address

To know your external IP address means lot of techniques available but internet connection is needed ,search in internet you can see the techniques ..
I will suggest you to check your external IP with Ip-details.com ..It will show the IP address.