Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new "old parts" pute.

• Please log in to reply

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
5 years ago I bought a Antec Performance Plus1000 series SOHO File SErver Case. It came with a Antec True 430 power supply.
I would now like to use both as the bases of my next system.

I'm leaning towards using a Intel 925xcv socket 775 Mobo, with a Intel Pentium 4 651 3.40GHz 800MHz 2MB Socket 775 CPU, and 4 gb of Corsair value 533MHz RAM. With a PCI Express x16 Graphics card - haven't picked out a prospect yet.
Will my never used, 5 year old power supply handle that Mobo/CPU/RAM/GPU combo? Can it maybe handle something with more power/features? The power supply came with an extra power lead designed for the P4.

Other hardware already purchased includes a Sony 18x DVD dual layer burner (newly bought), and a Samsung DVD-ROM/CD burner (5 years old, and used).

Thank you for any suggestion offered. I'm open to all opinions. My goal is to build the best computer possible using the hardware I already have, and filling in the blanks with the best hardware that my power supply can handle.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The PSU might be a tad marginal with all that ram and the big video card. Something more like 600 watts. You can check the actual power requirements for all the parts of the system but good practice is to exceed that by about 50% in the power supply. You can always find a good use for another PSU, even swapping it to a friend for something you want.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your reply.
I'll have to find a chart to calculate my PSU needs. I can't rember how much power RAM uses.

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
This is a great calculator for power supply watt usage.

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

This is a great calculator for power supply watt usage.

Thank you. Very helpfull.
I noticed in the RAM section you can select 32 sticks of DDR2 ??? I've never seen a Mobo with more than 4 slots.

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Oh they're out there. Here's one:

http://www.theinquir...-16-dimm-boards

powerbuilder333

powerbuilder333

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
^^^ [bleep] - lol.
Anyone have opinions on the WD Raptor 150? Costs about $180 at New Egg. Would I notice a difference (compared to a 7200 rpm HDD) when downloading movies, or playing GTA?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

^^^ [bleep] - lol.
Anyone have opinions on the WD Raptor 150? Costs about $180 at New Egg. Would I notice a difference (compared to a 7200 rpm HDD) when downloading movies, or playing GTA?

You might notice a difference in game playing where you need to access many small files quickly, but in downloading or uploading the difference will be negligible even on a fast connection.

strikermed

strikermed

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
lets see I maxed out on cod 4 at 96.3 Celsius... I am playing aao and I havnt gone above 90 yet. I have played a rts yet, but I have a feeling that might get hot too.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

lets see I maxed out on cod 4 at 96.3 Celsius... I am playing aao and I havnt gone above 90 yet. I have played a rts yet, but I have a feeling that might get hot too.

Hi strikermed,

Did you post this in the wrong thread? Or did I miss something? :)

:)

Troy