Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not start in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

MuffinsCanFly

MuffinsCanFly

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I start the computer press f8, select safe mode and press enter.

All is fine, looks like it will work but then it just restarts the computer and i have to start all over.

If I select safe mode again it just goes around in the same loop. if i start regularly it is fine no problems.

There is no error message or anything indicating that it wont enter safe mode because of, "this or that" reason.

It's been doing this for over a year. I didn't take much note of it until now. i need to really start my computer in safe mode to get rid of a virus i just got.

Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by MuffinsCanFly, 31 March 2008 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Another method to get to safe mode is to click Start, Run, type in msconfig, and click OK. When the System Configuration Utility window comes up, click the BOOT.INI tab, select SAFEBOOT, and then OK. You will get asked to reboot and when you do, it will come up in Safe Mode.

When you're done in Safe Mode, go back to msconfig and remove the checkmark from SAFEMODE. Do this before you get out of safe mode or the computer may start continiously rebooting in safe mode.

The virus may be causing the reboot into windows instead of safe mode.

By the way, if you have Nero In-CD on your computer it may be the cause of the no safemode boot. I never install In-CD or Nero vision on my computers because they cause so many problems.

SRX660

MuffinsCanFly

MuffinsCanFly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i did get rid of the virus i had. [thanks to another topic on the malware virus section]

however i tired the way you suggested three different times. none of which worked. my computer started up normally.

I do not have Nero In-CD, but i do have Nero 6 ultra edition. i did find under Local Disk Harware properties a NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device. not sure what that is.

is there any other way to start in safe mode, or change my Nero options so it doesn't mess with my startup?

If this helps my computer is running...

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM

its not a put together package dell or hp. my dad put this computer together a long time ago. still updating it with new hardware/software constantly. its pretty much up to date. [at least what we can afford anyway.]

Edited by MuffinsCanFly, 01 April 2008 - 06:04 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may have been caused by a windows update. Have you got a mup.sys file error lately? Heres another forums answer.

HOW TO FIX a system that is already 'infected' with the "Safe Mode" bug-
1) Get a software firewall which can limit SVCHOST.EXE to your 'trusted zone'.
2) Install all of the above recommended software or equivalent, update and run it regularly.
3) Uninstall ALL MS "Security Upgrades" and re-boot. You will once again have 'Safe Mode' operating normally.
4) Stop using all MS software which requires access to the internet. Absolutely block IE, Outlook etc with your software firewall. Download alternative software- "Open Source" where possible.
5) Keep an eye open for new software wanting access to the 'outside world'. I have very few programs that MUST be open to untrusted zones- my Browser, Email, the freeware security programs, and a file sharer. Even Kerio is limited to the trusted zone.

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to run System File Checker. In normal mode click Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. Let the process run to the end, at which the dialog box just disappears. You will be asked, most probably, to insert the XP installation CD, so keep it ready.

Try to boot into safe mode.

MuffinsCanFly

MuffinsCanFly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
The Skeptic,

i did ran the system file checker. it did ask for the cd and it worked. i was able to restart in safe mode. yay! I was finally able to access my administrator log in. i ran trend micro 2008 in safe mode and it cleared out everything it thought to be a virus.

Safe mode is running fine. it must have been corrupted a long time ago. thanks for the help!!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.