Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need hwlp setting up network printer

• Please log in to reply

painter1982

painter1982

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
okay here is the setup

I have and dell xps 400 with xp media fully updated hooked up directly to the internet via ethernet via dsl modem from att.
I have a laptop with vista on it that has wireless capabilities and hooks up to my dsl modem wirelessly.

I have a lexmark z611 hooked up via usb to the xps system.
Now i went through once and did the basic setup to get the printer online and it picked up once but unable to print. So i wend and downloaded the vista drivers and installed that onto the laptop but in the process of locating the printer it cannot detect any printer on teh network. Keep in min the printer has been set for file and printer sharing through teh xp desktop.

Now at the same time i set up a folder on the xp machine to be file shared via network. (I do not have a network set up with a name) meaning no i ran the network setup on the xp machine but unsure how to set it on vista machine to work. any help is appreciated.

Advertisements