Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

notebook problem

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I have an HP notebook I'm fixing for a friend. the wireless card (internal) seems to be dead. the light that indicates whether or not it's turned on or off is always showing off, no matter what. I have checked the physical switch and it's working fine. In device manager the wireless card is not even shown. however the network adapter is, and the wired internet is working just fine. there are no function buttons for wireless on this notebook.

is this for sure a hardware problem? I want to make sure before I order a new wireless card.

ps its running vista :)

Edited by pr0n, 31 March 2008 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello pr0n,
Since there is no entry in device manager about the wireless card, I am wondering if the driver needs to be (re)installed.
Have you tried to find the driver (from HP) for the wireless adapter?
If you would post the specific model of the HP for me I would be happy to look for the driver for you.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
here's everything I've tried.

it's a dv9000 btw

reinstall drivers, both for mobo and LAN
internet and LAN work fine with a wireless USB
install a new wireless card and reinstall drivers again
boot up in safe mode

with the new card installed when I turn the compy on and flip the switch it says something about a wireless config file missing from a library. but still shows nothing in device manager. I didn't get a chance to today but tomorrow I will check out what event viewer says about the error. let me know what you think

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
after some extensive googleering I found that this is a known issue on the motherboard of nearly all HP DV**** notebooks. WHODA THOUGHT?! HP send out products/software they know is faulty or sucks in every way NOW WAY!!!!! PS these things are still being sold new but it IS under warranty so I'll be sending it in...

thanks for the help

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

HP send out products/software they know is faulty or sucks in every way NOW WAY!!!!!

Most known fault are not found until users like you report them, after the prouct is shipped.
Not to say that HP would never...
I am glad that it is under warranty so it does not cost you an arm and leg.