Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeatedly having to repair the network connection

• Please log in to reply

gibson96lp

gibson96lp

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I recently upgraded to internet explorer 7.0 and now I have a new problem. First about my connection. I have a cable modem that connects to my desktop computer directly via an ethernet connection. This is the only computer and connection.

Due to previously having a malware problem, and using this forum, I have Superantispyware, ATF Cleaner, AVG Antispyware 7.5, PandaScan, Smitfraudfix, windows firewall, and am running the free version of Avast antivirus with both applications running (on access scanner and VRDB).

I was using a D-Link DCM-202 cable modem that is 12 months old. Local area connection 2 (the only one on this system) has always been indicating that it is connected at 100 mbps. Now the problem. When I was opening IE to go to the web, the screen would come up that says "you are not connected to the internet" but looking at the icon on the bottom right of the screen, the network is indicated as connected. Also, my southwest DING icon would have a disconnected symbol on it and I would not be able to update anything via the web (ie. turbotax, software upgrades).

At this point, I would repair the network (while it is indicated as connected) and then the page I was looking for would connect. When I tried to navigate away or open another IE window, I would get the "not connected to the internet" message again, but the network still indicated that it was connected.

So, I uninstalled IE7 and the problem persisted with IE6 so I reinstalled IE7.

I called my cable provider and they indicated that it doesn't appear to be anything on their end. I called D-Link and they indicated that the modem was acquiring an IP address, so it doesn't appear to be anything on their end.

I suspected the modem because I unplugged for 15 hours, and when I plugged it back in, the connection would stay for a longer period of time (15-20 hours), so I went out and bought a Motorola surfboard hoping that it was the modem. That is installed, and every several hours or so I have to repair the network again becasue the connection gets lost (although the network indicates it is connected at 100mbps).

I ran this by my computer savvy friend and he said it sounds strange and he would probably have to look at it first hand. Just wanted to see if there is someone there that can help me out with this before I drag him into this.

It has to be some setting or file that is doing this.

Also, I have run all of the spyware/virus software and there is nothing infecting the computer (so they say).

Thanks!!!!

Nick

Advertisements