Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop HD dead after XP crash?

• Please log in to reply

jasonpeinko

jasonpeinko

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
My dads laptop crashed the other and got some windows error dismissing it the computer was restarted to be presented with the message "Operating System not found"

Thinking windows just screwed up something like it always does i popped in my ubuntu boot disk and went to look for the HD but it could not be found. I dug up an xp install cd and went to reinstall windows but when it got to the partition screen it said there was 57000 something mb free but did not have access to the disk.

Anyone know whats wrong or if the HD is dead?

Advertisements

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The master boot record could be corrupt. To fix this - boot to windows CD - press R to enter to Recovery console. Select OS (usually 1) Enter Administrators password.

At the command type the following: fixmbr

If doesn't fix the problem then you may also need to to fix the boot info. To do this follow the above then at the command prompt type: fixboot

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try the recovery console on the xp cd and run chkdsk /f

Edited by happyrck, 02 April 2008 - 04:43 PM.