Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon d646u Scanner Twain driver won't install

• Please log in to reply

Brooksbane

Brooksbane

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everyone,

I have a canon d646u scanner. I've been using it with my windows vista computer, and there were no problems except for the fact that it was displaying things in portugese instead of english. So I decided to reinstall the drivers and scanner software to remedy this. However, I can't reinstall the twain driver - searching the internet and Canon website yields the grim message that there are no twain drivers for this scanner model for vista.

This makes no sense to me. I installed it just fine before. I've scanned plenty of images with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Brooksbane

Brooksbane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I figured it out.

This scanner will work with 32bit Vista, but not 64bit. Luckily I have the 32 bit one.

Here's how you do it:

1. Go to www.canon.ca, click on downloads, and then click consumer products. Then click scanners and find the d646u on the list. Click the download drivers link after this.

2. Download number 1, 2 and 5 on the list.

3. Install them in the following order: 5(deletion utility), 2(scanner drivers: it doesn't matter what folder you open them to), and then 1(toolbox). The computer will reset after toolbox is installed.

It should work after all this.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for posting your resolution, as it may help others with the same problem. :)