Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange modem message

• Please log in to reply

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I have a Motorola SM56 modem. I'm getting online just fine, however, I have this strange box that will not go away. It says: "Unable to support current country setting. Change the country to United Kingdom in the tray helper application." If I hit the X to make it go away or if I hit OK, it gives me a new dialog box with several tabs, one of which changes the country setting. Oddly enough, even when I'm online the "general" tab says I'm disconnected. I'm not in the United Kingdom, I'm in the USA. Even when I change it to United Kingdom, the box little box with the aforementioned message comes up. It won't go away. I have to tuck it into a corner on my screen and work around it. Any idea how to get rid of this? What's going on?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused when you download drivers for a piece of hardware from a certain continent or aimed at a certain country. They're quite often hard-coded towards that country's telephone numbering system or exchange configuration.

CompooterDummy

CompooterDummy

Troll

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
The software came off of a CD and I wondered if it might not have been made for distribution in the UK, so what you're saying makes sense. What I can't figure out is how to fix the problem. I went into my modem dialog box and there was a button for downloading an update to the software but when I hit it, it started up and after a few minutes of working came back and said I had the updated version. Anyone have any idea how I fix this problem? What's most strange to me is that the modem is working, I just can't get rid of this stupid dialog box.