Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A few easy questions for you...

• Please log in to reply

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just got all the parts last night to build my parents a new computer. I am using a older case that had, I installed the MOBO just fine. ASUS M2V-MX SE AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD is the board I got. I am trying to figure out what kind of power supply I should get, or the watt range I should look for. The case is a Micro ATX if someone has one that would work for this type of application. I also had a question on the case wires for the HDD Light. Mine I think are brown and white. I am trying to figure out which one would be + positive and - negative. I always asumed that the darker color wire is negative and the lighter color would be postive. I dont have a volt meter to test these. Theres one also for the power swtich thats green and white. I am not sure about those either. If you can give me some answers to my madness.

Also if possible, the case I have has a older power supply that just has a 20 pin connection. I need the 20 pin and the 4 pin on this board. Is there any type of a adapter that I could just buy and use instead of buying a all new power supply. I dont know the watt of the one allready in the case off hand. I can find that out later.

Any input would be great

Edited by fr33zypop, 04 April 2008 - 11:50 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Lights - usually the white cable is positive. If they're the wrong way round no harm done, the light just doesn't work. Power switch doesn't matter which way round it goes, all it does is complete the circuit to power the board which is what you do when you press the button.

PSU - you can use a 20 pin connector on a 24pin board. If a board requires the 4 pin 12v connection too (usually separate from the main power block) then it must be connected otherwise the board will not post.

A board with onboard graphics and no expansion cards can easily run off a 250w unit but its not recommended in the long run. Preferably 400w or higher is a far better solution.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can see from the picture just how to install the wires to the pins.

Posted Image

It would be a good idea to download the manual from the Asus website.

http://support.asus......del=M2V-MX SE

Download the bottom one.

By the way, the "white" wires are the ground wires on most computers.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 04 April 2008 - 06:08 PM.

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you, you two on the info. I was able to get a PSU from a buddy last night. I installed it and booted right up. I just have to switch the HDD Light switch around to get that working.