Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restoring to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply

sandraaaaa

sandraaaaa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey, i have a windows vista laptop and just recently i was on the phone with dell tech support and he gave me the steps of how to restore to factory settings and it worked, and now my laptop works amazing. however my desktop is windows xp, and dell tech did not want to help me with that, so i was wondering if i can do the same thing. its not the same as vista so i have no idea what to do. ....i dont have any of the recovery disks for xp....i have them for vista, but not for xp...
so can anyone help me with the steps, if there are any, to restore to factory settings on the xp????

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi sandraaaaa, welcome to G2G.

What is the make and model of your Dell desktop system that is/was running XP? Is it currently working? If so, why do you want to restore it to it's factory state. That's a rather drastic step unless you have severe problems.

If you don't have the recovery cd for the desktop and there is no recovery partition on the hard drive then you have three choices.

1. Fix whatever problems you have
2. Buy a recovery cd from dell (around $30)
3. Buy a copy of XP Home or Pro ($80 to $150)