Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Port No Respond

• Please log in to reply

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
:) My friend just recently helped me bought a pen/ flash drive 8 gb, saved files in it, then tried to plug it into my computer, but it doesnt work at all, no respond, nothing at all, can i know what could be wrong?? :)

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
wandy_lee

Are you successfully using any OTHER USB devices on your PC right now? I ask because if not, then there's either a USB hardware or USB driver issue or BOTH with your PC.

Have you tried plugging your new Flash drive into a DIFFERENT USB port on your PC? If not, try to and see if it is detected.

On your Windows Desktop, right-click on "My Computer", then left-click on Properties. From here, left-click on the "Hardware" tab at the top, then left-click on the "Device Manage" button in this window.

From here, open up the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" tree (click on the "+" sign). Do you see any yellow or red "!" icons in this screen? If so, let me know.

Unfortunately, without more information from you - it's difficult for me to help troubleshoot your problem. Reply to this message and someone here should be able to help you.

- John Hook

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I tried the other USB port, but it didnt work too, I checked the device manager, there is no red or yellow "!" , everything looks fine. :) so what should i do now?

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
wandy_lee,

It's possible that the flash drive is defective. Do you have access to another PC (friend's, etc) that you can try plugging that flash drive into? This would help isolate the problem to a) the flash drive or b) your PC's USB hardware.

I know you tried the flash drive in OTHER USB ports on your PC with no luck. Do you have any OTHER USB devices you can try in the various ports on your PC (i.e. mouse, printer, etc.)? Again, I'm trying to figure out if the problem is with that flash drive or with the USB hardware on your PC.

Let me know.

- John

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi john, the pen drive is definitely working~ because my friend had saved files in it~
other than that, what else could be wrong? thx

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
wandy_lee,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The problem is obviously NOT with the pen flash drive as it's working on other systems. You've tried different USB ports on YOUR pc with no luck. You said that everything looks "fine" i.e. no "!" or "x"'s under USB hardware in the Device Manager. I'm still not sure if you're able to use other NON storage USB devices - i.e. USB printers, Mice, Keyboards,etc. Knowing the answer to this question would be MOST helpful.

Also - are you using any type of add-on USB hub (external device that provides multiple USB connections when connected to one of your PCs USB ports? What is the Make & Model of your PC. Do you know if it supports USB 2.0 (I could find this out if you tell me the make & model).

Sorry for taking so long and also for replying with more questions - but the answers to these questions will shed more light on possible causes and solutions to your USB / Storage issue.

- John

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Check under start/ control panel/ administrative tools/ computer management, and then look at device management under storage to see if the USB drive is seen.
The issue could be a conflict with device lettering.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can see the drive in Disk Management, try this.

Right click on My Computer.
Click ‘Manage’.
Click ‘Disk Management’ in the Left pane.
Locate your flash stick in the right pane.
Right click on it, and choose ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths…’.
Click either Change or Add, and assign the drive a new letter. (I usually pick something high up the alphabet, like ‘R’)

You may have to look for updated USB drivers for your computer( or Motherboard). Drives may not be seen with USB drivers that were made before the larger drives come out.

SRX660

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks john, no worries, its taking me some time too, will get back to you when i got home n checked...:)

And also thanks for other members' help~ :)

Edited by wandy_lee, 17 April 2008 - 02:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi wandy_lee...

Just a thought, but have you tried uninstalling the USB root hubs from Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall them on restarting? That will sometimes straighten out issues with USB ports not detecting devices connected to them.

wannabe1

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
:) Sorry to take forever, tried and tested....using other usb device to plug into my computer, surprisingly, they work!!!BUT not the flash pen drive....SO, my friend took it back to his place and tried again... :)

He came back to me and said that when he plug the flash pen drive, the little light indicator at the flash pen drive actually lights up....

So, he took it back to my computer again, and plug it in again, the light indicator doesn't light up~~~ :)

so obviously, the reason that the computer doesn't detect is because there is no electricity supply!!!!!SO, what should I do now to light up the flash pen drive??? :)

Thanks for all support, REALLY APPRECIATED!!!! :) without you guys, I will have to carry my piece of junk to the repairers and spend FORTUNE..... :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perhaps a powered USB hub would help. I've run into that problem where the device required more power then the regular hub could provide. A powered hub allowed me to use the device.

wandy_lee

wandy_lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks a lot for the advice, I will get that and see if it works, thanks!! :)