Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do those extra numbers mean?

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey guys, :) :)

I have been wondering for a while, and just not gotten around to asking , but what are the numbers in the descriptions of hardware i.e. the "5600" in AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ dual-core @ 2.8GHz.

Also the same question for OCZ 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory (2 x 2048MB), what is the PC6400? is this the speed, or something?

If these numbers I am referring to are indeed speed, or whatever the case may be, is there a guide or online source to find out how to know what these are?

Thanks a lot,

Cheese

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In the two examples that you gave they are the speed, but that doesn't mean any "extra" numbers are the speed. They could represent any parameter that may vary, such as size in bits or bytes.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All AMD model numbers are performance ratings towards equivalent Intel processors. A 5600 AMD processor does not mean it runs at 5.6Ghz though you could be forgiven because 2.8Ghz doubled = 5.6Ghz. It's an easier way to work out the core processor speed for the higher end processors.

PC6400 is the speed of the memory, the maximum amount of data throughput. Therefore the memory is able to shift 6.4Gbs of data per second, all other things being equal.