Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find Normal.dot

• Please log in to reply

mediainenglish

mediainenglish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone please help. When I search my computer, it doesn't find the Normal.dot template file anywhere. This means that I cannot edit the template that Word 2003 uses whenever it brings up a document. I've read all the help files and the normal.dot template just isn't where the help files say it should be. As a matter of fact, it just doesn't seem to be on my computer. Any suggestions?
Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi mediainenglish,

Make sure that you include hidden files in your search - it's easy to miss the checkbox in advanced search.

If it fails, look in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates - that's where the template should exist.

Then, if there isn't one there, maybe you have the same problem I did! See
http://www.geekstogo...003-t18799.html

This is only a problem if you have installed Adobe Acrobat Professional or Elements after the Word installation. Word wasn't saving the Normal.dot with "Save" - you have to use "Save All". Thanks to peterm for that solution!

I hope thius helps.

mediainenglish

mediainenglish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks TotallyCalifornia,

I have installed Adobe Acrobat, so that must be the problem.

I tried to create a new Normal.dot, but apparently do not know how. When I try to save it as a template to the C:\Documents and setting\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates directory, it won't let me. It says that you cannot save over an opened document. I also then see a file called Normal in the window.

What exactly do I have to do?

TotallyCalifornia

TotallyCalifornia

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It sounds like you have the same problem that I did. If you have not looked at the other forum item that I mentioned ( http://www.geekstogo...003-t18799.html ), then you MUST at least look at this Adobe tech note:

http://www.adobe.com...ocs/331259.html

Adobe Acrobat 7 has a bad "feature" that disables the ability for Word to automatically save Normal.dot, unless you use Save All.

To test that this is the problem, try this:
1. In Word, hold down Shift, then select File > Save All. (Save All only appears if the Shift is held down.)
2. Look to see if you now have a Normal.dot. (You should.)

The Save All command is not on the File menu by default, so try adding it by customizing a menu.

So whenever you want to make a change that sticks in Normal.dot, you have to select Save All.

Thank you Adobe. And thanks to peterm who pointed me to the workaround.

rhysbar

rhysbar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I solve this one by first making and saving a new normal template (save as Template) as normal2.dot.
This seems to create a normal.dot file as well.
Next I search for normal, then delete the normal.dot file (With Word closed) and rename normal2.dot as normal.dot.
N.B. As noted above, I first go to Explorer/tools/folder options/view and check the "show hidden files" and uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" box.
Word seems to create normal.dot on demand, because it doesn't appear in a search until after the above exercise. :tazz:

kiin

kiin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello to everyone.
I'm new and having what I think is a similar problem with MS Word 2002 and normal.dot. I tried the, "Save All" approach and got a insufficient memory message.
I am running XP Home. I was getting a not responding message whenever I tried to do anything with Word. I took it to a computer shop and was told I lacked memory. I purchased an extra 256 MB of RAM for 510 total. I got home and deleted files, cookies, a lot of unused programs, cleaned the C drive, defragmented the disk, almost completely cleaned up my desktop ..... And now when I go to open a Word file it says, "insufficient memory" ??

I have looked everywhere for the normal.dot file/template in order to delete it. I have been where, "No man has been before .... " and Still cannot find it.

My computer is a notebook. Gateway, Model 450SX4
On my page file it says I have 426 MB used and 819 MB available

I don't think it is really a memory problem; but it is a problem.
Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
With much thanks, and kind regards
kiin

Edited by kiin, 16 June 2009 - 12:09 AM.

MS22

MS22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You saved my mind! I was about loco until I put C:\Documents and Settings\my username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates in the search and found "my" Normal document. I deleted it and in a moment a new Normal doc appeared, all blank and useful! I went to Word and opened it and the blank appeared. I opened a new blank Word doc and it really was blank!!! You are amazing! Thanks!

Edited by MS22, 05 November 2012 - 10:32 AM.