Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 in 2 Australians have high cholesterol

• Please log in to reply

burntchips

burntchips

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Seems there has been a bit of a media blitz on cholesterol lately in Australia. I've been reading a few articles here and there and it seems to centre on some new research that has recently come out. Mainly that if everyone in Australia dropped their cholesterol levels by just 10%, 3000 less people would die / year, that 1 in 2 Australians have high cholesterol and that only 1 in 5 Australians are aware they have high cholesterol.

To help improve this issue, there are going to be free cholesterol tests conducted nation wide next week (7-12 April). For those of you living in Australia, like me, this site has all the details. For those of you not living in Australia, I would assume that those statistics would be relatively similar in other developed countries.

Thoughts?

Advertisements

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
I read somewhere that this was because Australians have been encouraged to use barrels and barrels of sunscreen. Unfortunately, while sunscreen does prevent skin cancer, it also stops sunlight from activating some biological process that changes cholesterol into folate and Vitamin D.

Just my (and the writer of the book) two cents.

burntchips

burntchips

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well I never use sun screen so I guess I'm safe from high cholesterol, but am going to get skin cancer.

Catch-22