Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

macbook - wireless connection issues

• Please log in to reply

cmac24

cmac24

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
My wife's new macbook won't connect wirelessly to the internet. The OS is actaully MAC OS 10.5.2. The macbook can connect to the internet directly to the modem. A dell lap top can wirelessly connect to the internet and her macbook can connect wirelessly at other places (at wi-fi hotspots). I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work with our router. We have a D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Extreme G Wireless router. I've tried rebooting the modem and the router and nothing has worked. Is there something else I should try? Some research into the issue says that one the problems might be the security setting, but I don't know how to adjust it to allow the mac to connect. The modem is a cable modem. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Cmac24
In the top right next to the clock there should be an icon for airport, When you click on this it should give a drop down list. Does it show airport on (will be greyed out). Under this there should be a list of networks that airport has picked up.
Can you see the name of your network ? If you have not changed the settings in your router it will be called default.
Click on this. What happens.

Cheers
Peterm

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The name of the network does appear. I won't be able to access the macbook until later today, and I don't recall exactly what it says when you click on the network. I tried the mac diagnostic steps to try to fix it and hasn't worked. the steps included first rebooting the modem and then the router, which didn't work.