Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Backups failing

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
I use BackupAssist. Recently after an upgrade to quick books enterprise, Symantec Endpoint, Crystal Reports I began having full backups fail. I utilize volume shadow services to backup open files. Every time ntbackup kicks off I receive four VSS errors as noted below. What I am trying to figure out is how do I go about creating a user for NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for VSS to use successfully without login failures.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6013
Date: 4/6/2008
Time: 4:39:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER1
Description:
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80040e4d. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 18456
Error state: 1, Severity: 14
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

I have researched this one high and low and can't seem to come up with the right answer. I have applied Microsoft patches, tried the Microsoft KB as well as many others. I have exhausted google searches and now turn to forums to see if I can find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Jack Smith

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Jack, not what you want to hear I'm sure but I just went through the same thing, finally gave up, did a Clean Install of XP and started over again.

Like you I searched for a couple weeks trying to resolve the VSS failures, applied fixes, registered DLL's, changed registry settings, all to no avail. Did a clean install and voilla`, all is working again.

I tried a Repair Install first and that did not fix it. No idea why but a Clean install, formatting the partition during install did. I was able to get a full backup before the install just in case but booting my Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows and running the backup from there, then VSS was not involved.

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
The operating system is Windows 2003 R2 currently hosting about 75 active users. The server is currently hosting to many services for the building and users. Down time must remain minimal and in the event of disaster I can just recover from backups with minimal down time. I will attempt to come up with an answer, but would hate to have to re-program the entire server but your answer may be the wisest as I wast more time trying to pursue this.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
jjsmith,

The EXACT error you're reporting is documented in Microsoft's Knowledgebase so before you go reinstalling anything, check out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919023

In this post, you're asked to determine if you're running MS SQL Server 2000 or 2005. This entry gives fairly specific issues to the error you've identified. You might also want to check with your backup software's online tech support site.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
The problem is the KB illistrates what I need to do, but does not go into detail how to do it as such: "If this issue occurs, you have to make sure that the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is granted access to SQL Server."

I have visited this KB before but really couldn't do much because I am not sure how to grant the NT AUTHORTIY\SYSTEm access to the SQL Server

This is why I have turned here to see if anyone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
jjsmith,

Since you're using BackupAssist to backup instances of 3rd party SQL Server databases installed on your server, the proper security needs to be assigned to ALL of those SQL Server instances such that BackupAssist can access and back them up. BackupAssist is clearly using the "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" account (as it's running a service) to connect to these databases.

Try this TechNet link on Microsoft's site instead.

http://technet.micro...y/ms191543.aspx

You should have a management console with access to your SQL Server settings - you should be able to find the security/permission settings in there.

I would also check with BackupAssist's support site using the following link:

http://www.backupass.......ITY\SYSTEM'

Hope these links and this information helps.

- John