Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do I need and what can I remove?

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Just what it says. Thanks to an upgrade I have more RAM and such to spare, but I'd still like to get some opinions on what is currently running that my system would benefit without.

I figure this is the right section, anyways, I have a screenshot of my currently running services and my HJT log. I'd appreciate any thoughts and explanations~

Removed

Attached Thumbnails

• services.PNG

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Rickie,

You're RIGHT, there are likely SEVERAL unnecessary XP Service that you can disable which will improve the performance of your system (depending on what you're trying to accomplish with your XP-based PC).

Here are a few good sites to check out as it relates to this issue:

http://www.jasonn.co...s_on_windows_xp

http://www.windowsne...erformance.html

http://www.overclock..._services/2.htm

http://www.overclock..._services/3.htm

http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm

Take the content on these sites for what its worth. Don't take ANY of the advice on these sites as 100% accurate as the disabling of these services might have consequences based on the software / configuration of your particular PC. ALWAYS note the original settings of your Windows Service BEFORE you disable or enable them as you MAY need to turn some of them back ON to regain functionality on your particular Windows installation.

Hope this helps.

- John Hook

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks mate, I'll give them a looksie.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Rickie,

Everything you've got running looks pretty standard. The only two services I would question are:

- CAI Safe

- VET Message Service

I'm guessing these are services installed by 3rd party software that you're using. If they are necessary, leave them enabled, otherwise, I would DISABLE them.

I only saw "Started" services in your screen print. Did you explicitly "DISABLE" the services that don't appear in your screen print? I ask because the ONLY sure way to keep a service from running is to "Disable" it. "Manual" will not always keep unwanted services from running as they can be started by other services/programs with dependencies to these "Manual" services.

Looks like you're in MUCH better shape.

- John

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
HJT logs are for the Malware Removal forum only. If you feel that you have a malware infection, I recommend you start in that forum for assistance.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yeah, CAI Safe and VET are to do with my Anti-Virus, they're quite fine.

And yes, I only showed the Started ones but there are a few manual ones. I check them out too against the lists posted above, thanks for the idea.

On the whole, everything's running wonderful now so I'm pleased in that regard.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Rickie,

Glad I was able to help. In addition to disabling unnecessary XP Services, you can also do a few other things that might boost your system's performance:

1) Uninstall and/all unnecessary FONTS that you're not using or you don't need (Go to Control Panel, Fonts).

2) Check out and potentially ALTER the settings "Performance" tab settings found by right-clicking on "My Computer", click on "Properties" then click on the "Performance" tab. If you select "Best Performance" under "Visual Effects" - you'll not have the "sexy" XP smooth bars and animation that you get - but your system should respond FASTER as it's not having to manage all of these "nice-to-have" graphical effects.

2.5) In the same "Performance" tab, try changing the Advanced Tab, checking "Background Services" and "Programs" under Memory Usage. This changes the priority and memory allocated to services v/s applications.

3) Run MSCONFIG (Start, Run, MSCONFIG) and look at the "Startup" tab. These are programs that are automatically launched during Startup. In many cases - there are NON - ESSENTIAL programs in here that can be unchecked. Be sure NOT to uncheck or disable any programs that your anti-virus software requires.

4) In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", "Manage Add-Ons". Go through the list of add-ons and disable those you don't need or are NOT using. In many cases, adware, spyware or malware will use IE add-ons as a place to infect your PC.

These are just a few things you can "tweak" in order to get additional performance from your PC.

Hope this helps.

- John

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks for more ideas.

In relation to startup programs, I've always been curious as to the following:

%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

sm56helpr AND

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Reboot.exe

The last two have only been there since the computer was fixed I think, but I dunno what they all are.

I've turned off some pretty things, but I can afford to leave some on. Otherwise, I don't use IE and I'll keep the extra fonts. All in all, pretty pleased right now. I'd still like to know what the above programs are though.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Okay, although I don't know what "Kapersky AV" is, okay. I removed Reboot.exe from startup, but where it points to...the program doesn't even exist. Odd.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Rickie,

I'd like to clarify the response by John_Hook, as you were not given totally correct information.

%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

- This line is probably there due to some application or system crash that occurred at some point. When XP recovers from an error like this, it creates a system dump report - this is part of the error reporting system. It is safe to remove. When John_Hook referred to Kaspersky AV, he meant Kaspersky anti-virus. However, this entry has nothing to do with your antivirus software, which I believe is actually Computer Associates EZ-Antivirus.

I believe the sm56helpr is actually sm56hlpr, which is a modem driver. See here or here.

As for the last one, there are occasions where that entry can be malicious, and there are also perfectly valid uses for it. It's not something that could be conclusively identified as malware based on the link to one topic. For future reference, we have very strict rules about who can offer malware removal advice, and where that can take place. Malware removal advice can only be offered in the Malware Forum by someone who has the title of Trusted Helper, Expert, Geek U Moderator, Moderator, or Admin as a member title. This is not your fault - I'm just advising you to be careful about accepting this sort of advise from a regular member. In this case, no harm appears to have been done.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

sari

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Thanks alot for the clarification there. As I use CA's AV program, I was wondering what all that was about. So I'll remove it.

As for the modem one, I removed that and it didn't cause any problems. So I guess I'm on top of everything now.

Also, I'm no stranger to malware after first coming to this forum to learn about it. xD Whenever I really suspect something I have plenty of scanners and I check on the Internet for info. I was just trying to find out what processes I had running that were safe to remove, and I think I've gotten everything I needed to know.