Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

added 2 mb ram now the sytem wont even boot

• Please log in to reply

SuicidED

SuicidED

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi All

My system is below. I added 2 meg of ram which i beleive was correct match to the existing ram and the system wouldnt boot. So I removed it and the sytem still won't boot with the original sticks which I had not moved. The motherboard stops showing 04 on the LD display and I don't get to the bios beep. I've reseated the original stick and I am still getting no where. Any help would be appreaciated or should this be addressed to another forum.

Thanks Eddie

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme QX6700 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium Edition
Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 1000W PSU - Black
ASUS P5N32-E SLI nForce 680i SLI(C55XE) Mainboard - Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
2048MB DDR2 900MHz Memory -( 2x 1024MB Kit)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
768MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
22" Iiyama E2200WS Digital & Multi Media Widescreen TFT Display (5ms)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card (oem)
Creative Labs Inspire T7900 - 7.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Internet 1500 Laser Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)
2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)
Internal 33-in-1 Memory Card Reader

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I believe the correct terminology you're looking at is you added an extra 2GB of RAM. So you were looking to upgrade your system from 2GB to 4GB - is that right?

What exact make/model of RAM came with the computer originally? What exact make/model of RAM were you trying to add? If you could find links to the manufacturer's webpage for each part, this would help greatly.

Have you tried booting with only one stick installed? If that doesn't get you anything, try swapping all the sticks until it boots with only one stick. You may also like to try using different slots.

Cheers

Troy

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Troy

Yes trying to increase from 2 to 4 gig. The gold is the present sticks and the soe are the ones I tried to add. I'll give it another go trying 1 gold in the slots.

http://www.ocztechno...dr2/gold_series

http://www.ocztechno...ial_ops_edition

Many thanks
Eddie

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Eddie,

The first link you provide (Gold Series) gives me a whole range of "Gold Series" RAM options... more than just one set. So which one do you exactly have?

The second set shows just one example - which is what I'm looking for...

The specific thing I'm looking for is whether or not you have matching sets... It's generally recommended not to mix and match different types/speeds/models of RAM. And currently, it's looking like you're trying to do so...

Cheers

Troy

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Troy

This is the existing http://www.ocztechno...200_gold_gx_xtc

and this is what I tried adding

http://www.ocztechno...ial_ops_edition

I would just like the machine to actually start.

Many Thanks Eddie

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I removed the CMOS battery and left it for a few hours. Tried to reboot with the original memory and it sill error codes 04. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So the computer will not boot at all? Your motherboard has 4 RAM slots, so can you confirm that you have tried 16 different configurations for booting? Take 1 stick and try it in the first slot, then second slot, then third slot, then fourth slot... Repeat with the other 3 sticks.

What error code do you get if you try booting with no RAM installed at all?

Cheers

Troy

Posted Image

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Troy

I'll try all that on the weekend. I've removed the cmos battey for 6 hours as suggested by the supplier with the same result. I know I get a different error code with one stick in. I'll be back. Thanks VM for your patience.

Have a good weekend Eddie

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I'll be back.

Oh dear, I've heard that saying before...

*troy makes a hasty exit out of the building's rear door...

:)

Well have fun with it anyway. If you can get it to POST (in any configuration), then make sure you make note of which combo got it to work (e.g. stick 2 in slot 3 booted).

Cheers

Troy

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Troy

Checked it out still error 04 in all slots, with no memory a beep and error F6. On checking the motherboard part number it appears to be an nvidia 680i SLI. I am having words with the supplier of the reason why what I ordered does not match what I got. Not sure if that may help.

Many Thanks Eddie

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
What brand is the 680i? I know the Nvidia brands and the EVGA brands are very prone to fault.
Also, Were you able to POST prior to the additional RAM?
It's never recommended to MIX RAM such as what you are doing here on this rig. I would suggest you use the jumper settings to wipe your CMOS vice the battery removal. You may also want to go into the BIOS to see what it's recognizing as far as RAM.
I would put in JUST THE OLD RAM in the same slots it was in when your system was running fine and see if it will POST. If it does, check to see if there is a BIOS UPDATE for your system on your manufacturers website. This could very well be an issue as well.
Last but not least.....check to make sure your motherboard isn't shorting out on the case. This is a little time consuming, but I've found it to be the problem 50% of the time. Completely remove the motherboard from the case...lay on an anti-static surface (wood coffee table will work fine if you do not have a anti-mat). Plug everything in, just as if it were in the case (exclusing the new RAM...old RAM only for first try). If system POSTS with old RAM only you're not done yet. Try plugging in the new RAM. If system POSTS....you're shorting your board out on your case. Ensure you are using the mobo risers (little copper devices that screw into the case and then have screw opening on top of them). If you do all this, and you're still having issues....RMA that motherboard.....it's faulty.

Carl

SuicidED

SuicidED

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Carl

Many thanks for your reply.

My supplier has just admitted this...

The supplied motherboard in your PC is as follows:

Motherboard: 122-CK-NF68

Manufacturer: EVGA

This motherboard is the same chipset as the P5N32 motherboard you ordered, but is actually a higher specification and better performing board. I would imagine due to stock availability at the time of your order you were given a free upgrade as a gesture of goodwill

I added the ram...it did't work, removed it and the machine refused to boot.....There next suggestion is to ring their support line...I will do but since I have 3 years on site warranty they can fix it....I was trying to help by searching and helpfull people such as yourself suggested cmos removal reset the board, etc. As the board supplied was not as in the specifications I've been wasting your time.

Sorry

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's never a waste of time to seek help........that being said......come back any time!