Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot, system hangs on gagp30kx.sys

• Please log in to reply

Cobalt_Spike

Cobalt_Spike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there,

I'll get right to the point. Having had this problem with my computer before, I firstly tried to re-install windows in my frustration. Now, I like to think that I know my way around most common computer problems, and in my experience, there's nothing that a strip and rebuild can't cure. In this case, I was wrong. Having successfully formatted my hard drive, the computer continued to hang while re-installing windows. I took my rig down to my local computer store, and they replaced the motherboard and reinstalled windows, which appeared to solve the problem. Two months of happy usage later, and this problem has reappeared. I have read This thread on the problem, and I have attempted to do all the solutions provided in them. However, my system hangs before I can try to do any of them! When starting in safe mode, my system hangs on gagp30kx.sys. When loading normally, system freezen on XP loading screen. When loading in VGA mode, system freezes on windows loading screen.

Is there anything I can do, short of replacing hardware?

Edited by Cobalt_Spike, 07 April 2008 - 09:54 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First this is what the error is.

Filename: gagp30kx.sys
Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\

Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Information:

Microsoft driver to be used with a VIA K8 motherboard for CPU to AGP communications.

http://www.runscanne...gp30kx.sys.aspx

You will probably need to install recovery console to your computer and run chkdsk on the computer to fix the problem. I have seen this problem on the VIA chipsets that are running a ATI video card in the computer. My fix was to switch to a Nvidia video card. This is one of the reasons i stay away from Via chipset motherboards if possible. I have not seen very many K8 systems anymore so i usually don't have to fix this problem anymore.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

http://www.computerh...es/ch000635.htm

SRX660

Cobalt_Spike

Cobalt_Spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply.

However, I am running an nvidia video card on my Asus motherboard- a 7900GT if it's relavent.
Secondly, I can't get to system recovery. The computer freezes when I try to do anything at all to fix the problem- I can't get to system recovery, I can't run chkdsk, and I can't even format my hard drive- thanks for trying though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Test your hardware with DOS based programs to eliminate any influence by windows.

Start with a memory test by downloading Microsoft memory test utility (a link in my signature), make a bootable cd and run the test for at least 20 minutes to see if there are any errors.

Second, download a DOS version of the diagnostic program made by the manufacturer of your hard disk. Boot with the CD and run a full test.

If the first two tests pass, take out the video card and connect the monitor to the on-board connection. If there is no on-board connection then try to replace the video card with another one. If still no good, try to find an old pci video card. This will by-pass entirely the AGP (or whatever) controller, bus and socket.

Cobalt_Spike

Cobalt_Spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately, I can't get into DOS either. I replaced the video card with an old PCI card I had lying around earlier this evening- it didn't solve the problem. Could it be a broken hard drive?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "I can't get into DOS either". Did you try to boot a DOS base program or did you try the cmd command in windows.

Cobalt_Spike

Cobalt_Spike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can't get into windows, so I can't run cmd, nor can I boot in safe mode with command prompt, nor can I get to system recovery- The only thing I can edit is the BIOS. My computer freezes on all other occasions.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand you correctly. Have you tried to boot your computer to DOS? like the emergency floppy boot disk of win 98? If you tried and failed then you may have a serious hardware problem. It can be a faulty power supply unit, memory module, cpu, motherboard, everything. I would start by replacing the psu. You can "borrow" one from another computer just for test purpose. The hard disk can be tested by rigging it to another computer.

geek of bee

geek of bee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If anyone has this problem in XP, this could be a simple quick fix.

If your "VINK DATA RATE" IS SET AT 8X, CHANGE IT TO 4X.

It fixed my problem.

I had upgraded my video card from the GeForce 5500FX AGP to the GeForce 7300GT AGP on my KV2 Lite motherboard and when I tried to boot up, that is when my XP hung up on gagp30kx.sys. I went to my Xandros which had no issues with the rate at 8X and I researched this problem mainly in this site. I signed up just to let anyone else know what I found on how to fix this hangup. It might save you some bucks and lots of time.

work_it_work

work_it_work

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!

I created an account here just to leave this post.

First of all thanks for everyone who posted here, it was very helpull, and beside of this i would like to share my experience. Who knows, it may be
helpfull to others too.

The ERROR: Each time the the boot sequence hangs at c:\windows\system32\drivers\gagp30kx.sys.
Can't do safe mode, last good known config or normal start sad.gif every time it reboots

So here is what i did after reading the prev posts:

1. I got the rc.iso file and burned to an empty cd using nero > burn image to disk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso
2. Put the CD into the CD-Rom of the damaged coputer, go to BIOS and change first boot drive to CD-Rom, save and exit.
3. The computer restarts and ask to boot from CD-Rom, hit any key and starts to boot.
4. Once the computer is booted from CD, it ask to press "R" for recovery "ENTER" to install windows, "F3" to exit. Hir "R" and wait for the computer to load the settings. At some point you will see a highlited menu in the lower part of the screen, then press 1 (usualy)
5. Wait a few seconds, and you will be promted to Command promt, so you wll get something like this "c:\windows>" or "c:\>". In my case i was prompted to "c:\>" and i tried to see the content of the drive "c" using command: "DIR" so i got an error.
6. At this point i tought a "CHKDSK" will be helpful so i typed: "CHKDSK /R" and it starts to check the disk.
looks like this:
c:\>chkdsk /r
CHKDSK is checking the volume...
CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recover...
75% completed.
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

C:\>

7. Once the check is complete, it will return with a check sumary, usualy it says something was fixed. After that type again "DIR" to see the content of the drive "C" if ths works you myght be lucky.
8. Try to go to the windows directory by this command: "cd windows" don't get scared if you get an answer like this "Access Denied", i got it too bt it doesn't matter.
9. Type EXIT, you machine will restart.
10. Enter BIOS and change back the first boot drive to HDD (this is optional, anyway the computer boot from HDD if the CD-ROm is empty)
11. Take out the CD from CD-Rom
12. When computer starts you will be prompted again to chose : Safe Mode, + command + network, Last good know config, and start normaly. Try to start it in safe mode first, if you reach the safe mode screen even if you can't login because of admin password, restart the computer and go to normal mode. VOILA it worked for me it myght work for you too.

Have fun and hope my tutorial helps you.

SRY 4 my english... it's not the best biggrin.gif

Thanks to gerryf who shared the rc.iso file!!!

PS: Don't know what was the cause, but i myght have an ideea. When i shut down the computer it installs the new updates, so i guess it installed a new driver for video card or chipset. Anyway it myght be from the HDD too... If you have any ideea just post here, i'm curious biggrin.gif

PunkyFeople

PunkyFeople

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I joined simply to give the solution I found. I had the same issue, hanging at gagp30kx etc. etc. Tried it all, ubuntu, puppy, other computers, etc. etc.

The problem turned out to be the one thing I overlooked for a while... the main drive (C: drive) was full. Windows must have room to write to the registry at all times, if drive C is full then windows can't boot.

I used ubuntu, cleaned the drive of some waste and boom, I have a start button in the lower right corner now.

Try this before you go into the more complex recommendations above. Not that this will always be the solution but considering it is easy and less invasive, give this one a shot first.

Happy Computing.

Thanks,
Derek Rayburn
Geek of 30 years.

egamerhdk

egamerhdk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
SOLVED:

System kept hanging on gagp30kx.sys

Could not repair with XP disc because it kept hanging as well.

Inserted a Windows 7 disc, and clicked the repair options from there.

Selected Command Prompt

Typed:
c:
[enter]

cd system32
[enter]

cd drivers
[enter]

rename gagp30kx.sys to gagp30kx.bak
[enter]

exit
[enter]

Should reboot

Now I booted into safemode again and it seemed to hang for like 5-10 minutes but then it finally booted up.

Took my mouse like another 10 minutes to work... which was kind of weird, but, now I'm just running some spyware programs and such, trying to make sure its all good.

Hope this helps