Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad crackeling and audio quality.

• Please log in to reply

ustion

ustion

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi.
My audio is making a really annoying crackling and kind of electronic sound when something is played.

I know this is not a problem with the speakers because I have plugged them into my mp3 player and they play perfectly, and also I have plugged headphone into the audio jack at the back of the computer, just to find the same problem that the speakers are having.
So I think this might be a problem with the driver of the audio codec or something.
It says that it is using 'SigmaTel Hight Definition Audio Codec'
I have tried rolling back the driver and going to a restore point, which end up causing more problems.

I'm running windows Vista Ultimate, maybe there might be a conflicting problem?

If any one could help that would be great. I need normal sounding music. :)

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
this is almost always a loose connection on the computer speaker connections. Clean the terminals with alcohol and reinsert them. Corroded terminals can cause this.

SRX660

ustion

ustion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thnaks for the reply.

I have cleaned the terminal and am still getting the same sound. I cant really see if there is any corrosion or if anything is loose because its connected to the motherboard and there is a little box around the speaker terminals. Only way I can think of checking is if I take out the motherboard, but I'm not that tech savvy and don't wanna end up with a dead computer.

Thanks..

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Beg or borrow a different set of speakers to see if it still happens. If it is the speakers look for the better quality speaker sets as most of these do not have the problems cheaper speakers have. Just better quality control.

SRX660

ustion

ustion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah, the speakers work fine, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to get some one to look at the audio terminal properly and see what they can do, or just get a sound card.