Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PARITONING DISK SPACE

• Please log in to reply

EMMA77

EMMA77

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi there. I a while ago I had problems with my computer and had to wipe everything and reinstall windows xp anyhow had a few dramas but got it all working but only problem is I think i've done something with partioning or not done something I was supposed to because i have c disk with 19.5GB and then when i go into administrative tools then computer management disk managment I have an unnamed drive with 54.99GB. Somehow i've split my gb so now my cd has little space at all how can I fix this???

thanks in advance

Emma

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
EMMA77,

How large is your PHYSICAL hard drive? If it's 50-60Gb - then when you installed XP, you allocated only 20Gb for XP and left the remaning as free space. If this is the case, you can either REINSTALL XP - removing and re-creating the XP partition to use ALL 50+Gb -or- use a 3rd party software solution such as Partition Magic to Resize the partition where you've got XP installed.

Hope this helps.

- John

EMMA77

EMMA77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi John thanks for your reply I actually just wiped and started fresh with the little disk space I didnt have alot on there I needed :)

Daz3210

Daz3210

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
It can be an advantage though to split your disk in this way, although normally on a disk of this size I would normally go for a 50/50 split.

That way if you keep all your data on the second partition (commonly labelled d:, although this can be changed) if you need to reinstall windows again you can simply reformat the C: drive (that where windows sits) and leave the 'data' drive untouched.

As above the easy way to re-jig the sizing is to use a utility like partition magic or similar.