Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sending, not receiving packets?

• Please log in to reply

fuoleum

fuoleum

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've just taken delivery of a new PC and have a problem...

I previously had 2 PCs and a laptop from work. I set up the better computer as a host (running XP and with a cable modem direct into the host PC) on a local network and connected the older PC via a crossover cable. If I wanted to use my work laptop, I just unplugged the crossover from the old PC and plugged into my laptop.

As I was getting this new PC, I got rid of the oldest one and wanted to move the previous host down the pecking order. However, when I tried to set up a network, the new PC believes the network connection is fine, but neither my older PC nor my work laptop can connect.

If I double-click on the network connections, the host and the other computers are sending packets of information, but getting nothing back. I then tested the cable by setting up the old connection again (modem into older PC; work laptop into older PC via crossover) and it worked straight away (once I'd re-ran the wizard on that one to make that a host)!

It is vitally important that I can use my work laptop from home. All machines are running XP. My old PC had an ethernet speed of 100Mbps, does the fact that this one is apparently running at 1Gps cause problems? Can I slow it down?

I read the how to guide (after I'd already done the above, which worked on my older PCs) and the difference is that I already had the modem plugged in and working before I ran the wizard - does this really cause these problems? If so can I undo the network I've created so far?

Any help with this would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Advertisements

fuoleum

fuoleum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've just found out that it works if I turn off AVG Firewall!

I downloaded a 30 day trial... can't seem to configure the bloomin' thing so that I can have it on and it will let me network my PCs. Anyone help me with this? (Probably in the wrong topic now!?) If I ditched AVG, which one should I go for?

Thanks again!!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Ok, So.
You've got a new PC connected directly to your modem?
Then wired up your old computer and laptop? Exactly how did you do this? Did you use a switch or make a chain?
I see you're using a 30 day trial of AVG. Does that mean you only have a trial version of an Anti Virus aswell?
The more specific you are the better we can help you. :)

Regards,
Olrik

fuoleum

fuoleum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I don't have two computers connected simultaneously to the host - just a single PC. If I want to use my work laptop, then I unplug the crossover cable from the client PC and stick it into my laptop.

I've just downloaded the AVG internet security version 8.0.93, so yes I'm using the free trial anti-virus too. After hours of fiddling I've got to the stage where the host PC can see the hard-drive of the client PC with the firewall on (so that's good), but the client PC (and so my work laptop) cannot access the internet unless I disable the firewall - which kind of defeats the point in having it if the only time I use it is when I'm not on the internet!!

I think I just need some help in setting up AVG's firewall to allow the client PC to use the internet connection of the host. It really isn't straight-forward like NOrton was, but Norton is so hungry on my computer's resources...

HELP PLEASE!!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Keep in mind though that after the 30 days you will have no firewall anymore unless you buy the software.
There is another option which is stepping over to ZoneAlarm Firewall found here.
It's a free firewall you can keep using until the end of time :)
If you'd decide to step over to ZoneAlarm I will be able to help you with screenshots and everything, I can't help you with AVG Firewall but I'm sure others can.

Regards,
Olrik