Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbs new build needs a once-over

• Please log in to reply

swild

swild

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Heya- I'm building my first system from scratch, and my parts list could use a once-over before I buy. The system isn't for gaming and doesn't need to be real high performing, but I'd also like to make it as fast as possible in the low 400's.

I went AMD, as thats whats in my current comp and I haven't had any problems. But, if you think Intel is better, I'd like to know why. Here we go-

Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

$29.99

Rosewill R363-M-BK Micro ATX Black Ultra High Gloss Finished Computer Case with 400W ATX 2.2 12V Power Supply

$59.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$47.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

$5.99

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

$44.99

ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO4400DDBOX - Retail

Mobo and processor combo- $104.98
Total $301.92
2 yr warranties and ship- $415.73

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmm... correct me if I'm wrong... but there's no graphics card listed on here! I guess, you could use the onboard 6100... was that what you were planning on doing or was that just an oversight?

swild

swild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yep- Just trying to keep the cost down, the most this system will see is light photo tweaking. If its not enough I can always throw in a discrete card... but other than that, hows it look?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I would make some slight changes:

For an extra dollar, I would get this DVD Burner - it uses the SATA interface, which is a lot easier to install and has smaller cables, better for in-case airflow.

Also, I have had problems with ECS motherboards before - avoid them if you can. For only a few dollars extra, this Abit should fit the bill. Abit is a much better manufacturer, in my opinion. It's cheap and has limited upgradeability - but it should be fine for this budget build.

Finally, I can not stress this point enough - do not use PSU's that come with a case. They are often the "cheapest of the cheap", and having a poor PSU could very well fail, possibly also taking out other components with it. That being said, this choice is an exception - it has an Antec Earthwatts PSU, which are a good budget choice. It also has a high efficiency rating.

Other than that, the system looks good!

Cheers

Troy

swild

swild

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks a lot for your quick responses! The input was great and it should be a solid system. Hopefully I won't ned help once the parts arrive.