Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL or Outlook can't access server

• Please log in to reply

WFFL

WFFL

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Have 2 wireless computers & 1 direct to router. Installed Bearshare on all 3 computers and the application was working fine. All of a sudden had problems accessing the internet. Decided to uninstall Bearshare and now I have access to the internet through Internet Explorer, however AOL will not log on and when I try to send or receive mail through Outlook, I receive error message saying could not access server. Tried resetting router, and rebooting. However if I go to AOL.com, I can access my AOL email that way.
Thanks for your help. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a bad lsp....I am pretty certain that AOL introduces one into the ip stack...removing Bearshare may have killed it....

windows xp sp1 or sp2?

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Windows XP Pro sp2

This is a problem with both AOL & Outlook.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try this:

start > run
netsh winsock reset
enter

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. I'll give a shot as soon as I get home from work.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if that does not work (and quite honestly, it is a longshot since unless there is more going wrong then just the two you mentioned), please visit the malware forum in my singature and follow the instructions at the top.

If that fails, please return here and we'll take another look ([bleep] AOL and their proprietary data communication schemes!!!)

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Been able to do the adware & virus thing. However there was not any change. However, on all my computers AOL, AIM & Outlook would not work. I was able to get AIM to work by running their utility to reconfigure AIM. I noticed when I ran this, it changed the port to 21. This worked on all computers. I cannot however get AOL to log on, nor can I get Outlook to connect to server.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Open outlook...

Tools > Accounts > view or change

select account
choose change
choose more settings
advanced tab

what are the ports there....defaults should be

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes they are!

I also ran LSPFIX and these are the dll files:

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
nwprovau.dll
rsvpsp.dll

Also ran the winsockxpfix as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by WFFL, 25 April 2005 - 08:53 PM.

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Any other suggestions? I'm pretty much stuck right now. I tried to fool with the settings in Outlook, but nothing worked. Any he :tazz: lp would be appreciated.

Edited by WFFL, 26 April 2005 - 05:30 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling AOL?

As for outlook, I was incorrect, AOL is not using 587 as its outgoing mail server port (under advanced)

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I did reinstall AOL, however I'm not convinced it has anything to do with Outlook. I am still unable to connect with AOL and cannot access my email through Outlook. There must be a connected reason why both applications don't work properly. As I previously mentioned, when I ran AIM to find the proper port, it runs their own utility and found port 21, and since hten Aim has worked. I had to do this on each computer however. Hope you can help me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Did you try uninstalling then reinstalling AOL?

As for outlook, I was incorrect, AOL is now using 587 as its outgoing mail server port (under advanced)

View Post

did you see that

WFFL

WFFL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I did. Oddly enough when I came home from work tonight I noticed mail in my outlook. Tried to log onto to AOL and that worked as well. So something I did last night took care of the problem or something else happened. Regardless, I'm good to go, I only wish I could tell you exactly what it was that worked. In any event, thanks a lot for your help. I'm sure one of the things I did from this board took care of the problem.