Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid Blue screen

• Please log in to reply

msc

msc

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Grrrr. So I work on some computers for a few friends of mine.. they are all Dell Laptop latitude. I just recently started working on these so am very frustrated to find that 3 of the 22 are giving me the Blue Screen of Death. All it essentially says is the lovely Windows Has shut down and blah blah..... it will not let me boot into safe mode, last known good configuration. I can log into the computer with a boot cd but what does that enable me to do other then back up my files? I am hoping that I can do a system repair but in the past have found that the hard drive usually just ends up being replaced. Any ideas to get around this wonderful windows error?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If you could post us the error in the format like this:
THIS_IS_AN_EXAMPLE

we could do a lot more for you :)

Regards,
Olrik

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok went back today and this is what I noticed. The error was an UNKNOWN_BOOT_ whatever fault. I couldnt boot into last known configuration, or safe mode of any type. I logged in under XPE however was not able to access any of the data stored on the computer. I ran the Dell Diagnostic tool and came up with the error 0f00:0244. Everything that I have read states that the hard drive is dead. I went ahead and tried to do a repair install but it didnt give me the option I tried doing chkdsk/f, chkdsk/p, fixboot, fixmbr and nothing fixed it so I did a complete format, it only seemed to give me that bad sector error on one sector so I believe this hard drive should hold through the weekend considering it really only has to go through tomorrow and no one will be using it. Just need a second or third opinion on this:) thanks in advance!

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The 0F00:0244 means that "Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected." Try running the device quick tests by pressing <F12> as the computer is starting up, then selecting "IDE drive diagnostics" or "Hard Drive Diagnostics." Please post the results here.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
got it fixed by replacing hard drive please close!