Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd Drive

• Please log in to reply

doktorpro

doktorpro

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi guys,

Still having a bit of a problem with my cd drive. When i boot sometimes it fails to reconise it when i go into 'my computer'. Then if i give it a gentle knock on the side of the computer the lights will flash and it will come on but still wont be reconised. I have to restart the PC. Eventually after maybe 2 or 3 restarts the PC will reconise it in 'my computer'. The other day i wanted to burn a cd so ripped the my original onto the hard drive. I then opened Nero went through the process and hit 'burn' after a few minutes it keeps failing. Could this all be down to a loose connection inside or something more serious?

THanks in advance for the help

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Open up the box and make sure the cables are propperly plugged in.
Make sure you take the anti-static precautions before doing so.
Generally pulling them out and putting them in does the trick.

Regards,
Olrik

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi guys,

Still having a bit of a problem with my cd drive. When i boot sometimes it fails to reconise it when i go into 'my computer'. Then if i give it a gentle knock on the side of the computer the lights will flash and it will come on but still wont be reconised. I have to restart the PC. Eventually after maybe 2 or 3 restarts the PC will reconise it in 'my computer'. The other day i wanted to burn a cd so ripped the my original onto the hard drive. I then opened Nero went through the process and hit 'burn' after a few minutes it keeps failing. Could this all be down to a loose connection inside or something more serious?

THanks in advance for the help

Thanks mate. Do you think that could be the problem? I never use to have any problems with it but its happened recently. Sometimes if i open the drive the computer will freeze and the BSOD will appear. Hopefully it is just the wires loose and i will try when i get home. Thanks again.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
What errorcode does the BSOD give?
We want to know the error code with the following format:
THIS_IS_AN_EXAMPLE

Regards,
Olrik

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

What errorcode does the BSOD give?
We want to know the error code with the following format:
THIS_IS_AN_EXAMPLE

Regards,
Olrik

I ll have to take a note of it later. Ill post it when i get home. It doesnt come that often but usually when there's alot going on with the system it will freeze and appear.

Thanks

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
BSODs CAN be caused by hardware that malfunctions.
Replugging your CD-Drive might fix the problem :)

Regards,
Olrik

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

BSODs CAN be caused by hardware that malfunctions.
Replugging your CD-Drive might fix the problem :)

Regards,
Olrik

That's great. Thanks mate ill do that later and report back how i got on

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ive just had another thought. Ive had problems where i cannot transfer data using my flash drive. Ive connected the USB pen but my PC can't see to reconise it. Could the two problems with the CD drive and USB one be related?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It could be numerous things:
Drivers not correctly installed.
IRQs interfering with eachother.
USB Controlers not correctly installed on the motherboard.

Regards,
Olrik

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Still having a bit of a problem with my cd drive. When i boot sometimes it fails to reconise it when i go into 'my computer'. Then if i give it a gentle knock on the side of the computer the lights will flash and it will come on but still wont be reconised. I have to restart the PC. Eventually after maybe 2 or 3 restarts the PC will reconise it in 'my computer'.

get a new 40 pin 80 wire cable for the cd drive...if the problem continues with the new cable try another cd drive...

Advertisements

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Still having a bit of a problem with my cd drive. When i boot sometimes it fails to reconise it when i go into 'my computer'. Then if i give it a gentle knock on the side of the computer the lights will flash and it will come on but still wont be reconised. I have to restart the PC. Eventually after maybe 2 or 3 restarts the PC will reconise it in 'my computer'.

get a new 40 pin 80 wire cable for the cd drive...if the problem continues with the new cable try another cd drive...

Thanks mate. Is that the thick plastic cable usually grey colour? Ive think ive a spare lying around somewhere...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...just make sure its a 80 wire one...wires are thinner

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

yep...just make sure its a 80 wire one...wires are thinner

That's great thanks pal.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Connector Assignments and Color Coding: For the first time, the 80-conductor cable defines specific roles for each of the connectors on the cable; the older cable did not. Color coding of the connectors is used to make it easier to determine which connector goes with each device:

* Blue: The blue connector attaches to the host (motherboard or controller).
* Gray: The gray connector is in the middle of the cable, and goes to any slave (device 1) drive if present on the channel.
* Black: The black connector is at the opposite end from the host connector and goes to the master drive (device 0), or a single drive if only one is used.

doktorpro

doktorpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Right i think ive got a spare one but its one of the older ones? Should i go ahead and try it or does it have to be the new one? My system is few years old now.

Thanks