Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Problems! Freezing and Cpu Usage! NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi guys

Here's the thing:

When i try to rename, delete, move a file, the folder freezes up, i have to ctrl+alt+del out to end the task... When i go back in the folder i tried renaming, it's renamed, but same thing happens the next time... I've tried to install some updates, but it tells me that the file does not associate with my system.... or something... i don't know... i think i need updates maybe? I got SP1 for Vista, and that did not solve anything....

And also, Why does my CPU usage stay at 50%-51% when idle? I remember it being 0%-5% when i built it not so long ago... It just stays like that.. does it mean it's as if only one of my cores was being used or what?? I'm really confused...

My computer specs: Nvidia 680i SLi Special Edition MOBO, Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.33GHz, 2 Gig OCZ Plat. Rev. 2 Ram @ 820MHz, 320 GB Seagate HD, GeForce 7600GT xXx edition, 600W Dual-Rail PSU...

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Advertisements

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
If the problem just started and it was working before, maybe you can do a system restore. Start->Programs->Accessories->Stystem Tools and select system restore. Be sure a pick a restore point that will roll your system back to a before the problems occurred. This will most likely also undo the SP1 install, which is probably a good thing. SP1 is not in its final release stage yet and installing it maybe have been a premature move. Let me know if the system restore works as it would be the simplest solution. Also, any software installed after the restore point date will have to be reinstalled after the system restore is complete.

As far as why your CPU is running at 50%, I do not think this is necessarily unusual for Vista. My cpu usage varies wildly from second to second in Vista. However, if you want to find out what is using up your resources, start he task manager and click the processes tab. You can sort by cpu usage and see what process is using up the most cpu percentage. Google search the name of the process to find out what it is, if it is not obvious. You may need to uninstall this program or take it out of startup to improve performance. You may even find out that it is malware running on your computer, in which case you can post that information in the Malware forum.