Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

files deleted! please help!

• Please log in to reply

grrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys!! my computer never booted so I started my comp in "Last known good configuration" and now some of my files have been erased! My computer looks like it reverted to 2 years ago and some of my newer files are gone..My firefox bookmarks are gone as well!

i really think it did revert my computer because i had a program installed last week that will not work anymore and my hard drive has more space now..omg..and my 10 page report that is lostt!!!! im freakin out right noww...not cool :) :) :) :) :)

does anyone know how i can recover my files?? I tried something called "PC Inspector File Recovery" but it had an error..any good file recovery program i can use??? please help! thanx alot

Advertisements

Clark76

Clark76

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
I have not tried it myself but you could try Recuva
http://www.recuva.com/

Directions on using it can be found here:
http://www.internetr...beginnersguide/

To be honest though it does not look good though since you say that it might have reverted to a date 2 years ago.

Good luck

grrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
welll i hope i can fix it!!! :) thanx for the software links! :)

texas666

texas666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
The following is from microsoft's site

• The Last Known Good Configuration feature uses information that is saved from the last time that you shut down your computer to restore registry settings and drivers. Therefore, you can use this feature only if you were able to start your computer successfully before you restore your computer by using the last known good configuration.
• After you start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, changes that were made since the last successful startup are lost.

I can't imagine it reverting to a state 2 years ago so I hope that program suggested earlier works for you.