Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Card going out?

• Please log in to reply

JDW1969

JDW1969

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a Compaq Presario v5000 and while I am running WMP (windows media player), the songs are skipping. I thought it was a resources issue, and it still may be, but it does it no matter how many programs are open. This is the first problem that I have had with it, and I really need some help. I use my laptop for running my music for my mobile dj service. I have un-installed and re-installed wmp and still have the problem. I also tried using Itunes, no change. I have also noticed it has been taking an unusually long time for windows to boot up after a restart.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!

JD :)

Edited by JDW1969, 11 April 2008 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Are you playing CDs or MP3s? Are they MP3s on a CD unit or MP3s on the hard drive?

JDW1969

JDW1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
So sorry. I play mp3's on from the hard drive. I have not tried playing a cd yet. This is really strange. Everything is going crazy at once. Cpu has slowed way down and I have like 52 processes running???!!! Any ideas?

Thanks

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
To lower the amount of processes that run on start up, do the following:

1. Click Start > Run > Type "msconfig" > Press OK

2. Click on the Startup tab at the right and scroll through the list of startup items and un-check any unnecessary processes > Click "Apply" then click "Close" > Reboot when it asks you to.

That should free up some of your computers resources (depending on how many processes you deselected) and it will probably load your account quicker :)

JDW1969

JDW1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I did msconfig, and shut down some of the processes. It helped a little. Then some how my computer went back to being a new computer. What I mean is, it said," Thank you for purchasing a Compaq ......" I had to set the whole thing back up from scratch. All of 'My Documents' are gone, 'My Music' is empty. It is just like when I bought the computer. All the way down to setting up user accounts. The media player is working like new, but where are the files? I am in the process of doing manual searches for them now, and have found a few. Are they just in limbo inside my cpu? Now 'My Documents' is labeled as C:\Documents and Settings\JD.YOUR-4105E587B6\My Documents ?????

Edited by JDW1969, 13 April 2008 - 09:02 AM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Hmmm, that's extremely odd... Your files should still be on your hard drive since disabling processes at startup won't delete anything. I would go back and check through the processes again and see if there are a few that deal with Compaq. It may be something that is set to default by Compaq that is "required" to run. I'm not too sure though since I'm not really familiar with using brand named computers all that much. You also might want to unhide all files and folders on your computer as it may have something to do with that, although I doubt it.

To unhide system files and folders, do the following:
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading SELECT Show hidden files and folders.
  • UNCHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Once you've unhidden all files and folders, check to see if your music and documents are where they're supposed to be. If they're not, rehide your system files and folders (you don't want to accidentally delete a file the system needs to run.)

To rehide hidden files/folders, do the following:
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading DESELECT Show hidden files and folders.
  • CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Let me know if you find the files :)