Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing IP address....

• Please log in to reply

Ereos

Ereos

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
well I am currently using AOL with a speedtouch router
but before using a router i used a USB DSL modem
and connecting to AOL i always had a US connection for computer gaming
(you know how people are picky in US servers they dont like to play with foreign people on online computer gaming)

so now my IP address locates back to GB = Great Britain
but i want to get back a US address

is there any programs or ways to change my IP to a complete new location???

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You're going to have to get in touch with AOL, they're the people who assign your IP address. There's no way for you to change your IP address, since that's the address everyone else uses to connect to you. It's like if someone is trying to send you mail at 123 Candy Cane Lane, but you changed the number on your house to 374 Candy Cane Lane, you won't get that mail.

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
but i hear you are able to do foreign ip addresses

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

but i hear you are able to do foreign ip addresses

And if you heard the new craze was jumping off cliffs would you want to do that too? :)
If you've always been on AOL in the UK, you'll have always had an IP address that can be traced back to the country origin of the UK.
Since AOL keep changing their policies and who they own and their software and on occasion their own ownership, it's plausible that you could have had at some point previously an IP that looked as if you were located elsewhere. Now this looks like it may no longer be the case.
Realistically the only way to get an IP address that's been allocated to internet providers in the US is to move to the US.

Edited by Neil Jones, 11 April 2008 - 04:12 PM.

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

(you know how people are picky in US servers they dont like to play with foreign people on online computer gaming)

Not really, no...

Your IP address is always going to be the address of your internet provider (hence the IP before address) Like Neil said, the only way to have an IP address that points to the US is if your internet provider is located in the US.

May I ask why you want to have a US IP address?

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i did mention earlier
for computer gaming
i dont play in the Europe server
cos there a vast amount of noobs
and multi language
usually full of Germans, French
and i usually always play in US servers
for an example : Warcraft 3 Online i play in US East... nowadays people are being picky who they play with in US East and only play with people with the latency of US
and people in the US servers 95%+ all speak english of course online.. and generally you face more better players
since Europe servers tend to have so many newbs its boring...

so yeah basically it for Computer Gaming online...

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Due to the distance between you and the server you're connecting with you can not, Ever, get the latency a US person would have.
You'll have to contact AOL about it although it wouldn't surprise me if they declined the request.

@ Reconman:
IP stands for Internet Protocol, not Internet Provider.
The general protocol being used for the internet are:
TCP/IP = Transfer Control Protocol / Internet Protocol
and UDP = User Datagram Protocol

Long story short:
You will never be able to get the latency a person in the US has due to the time it will take for your signals to reach the US server.

Regards,
Olrik

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

@ Reconman:
IP stands for Internet Protocol, not Internet Provider.
The general protocol being used for the internet are:
TCP/IP = Transfer Control Protocol / Internet Protocol
and UDP = User Datagram Protocol

My mistake, ISP is internet service provider. But your IP address will point back to your internet provider (as far as I know) so that's what I was getting at.

@ Ereos,

I understand why you would want a US IP now, I was a little confused because you said "you know how people are picky in US servers they don't like to play with foreign people on online computer gaming..." So I thought you meant there are never any foreign people playing in US servers when there clearly are, just not usually people who don't speak English.

But it really won't make a difference what your IP is, just depends on where you're physically located.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Your IP address is always going to be the address of your internet provider (hence the IP before address)

Must correct this, I do apologise.
IP doesn't stand for Internet Provider. It stands for Internet Protocol.
The term "Internet Provider" is a shortened form of ISP, which is an Internet Service Provider aka Internet Provider.
IP Internet Protocol is the technology that lets you get online and go somewhere. Internet Provider is the people you go online through, in the original poster's case, AOL.

Edited by Neil Jones, 12 April 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I understand why you would want a US IP now, I was a little confused because you said "you know how people are picky in US servers they don't like to play with foreign people on online computer gaming..." So I thought you meant there are never any foreign people playing in US servers when there clearly are, just not usually people who don't speak English.

But it really won't make a difference what your IP is, just depends on where you're physically located.

ok say i cnt change my IP address but is there a way to make my IP address to look as if it was in US???
like somesort of IP hider but not for internet browsing
like i have come across Hide IP Programs but they work for online FireFox, IE..etc

just a way to make them to read my IP as if i was US located while still having my current IP

[sorry for like im not really clear with stuff like you know all the terms .... im not that knowledgable]

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I don't have any experience in this.
My advice would still be to contact AOL.

Regards,
Olrik

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Your IP address is always going to be the address of your internet provider (hence the IP before address)

Must correct this, I do apologise.
IP doesn't stand for Internet Provider. It stands for Internet Protocol.
The term "Internet Provider" is a shortened form of ISP, which is an Internet Service Provider aka Internet Provider.
IP Internet Protocol is the technology that lets you get online and go somewhere. Internet Provider is the people you go online through, in the original poster's case, AOL.

If you read a few posts above, we've established this :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Why is your actual IP address important? Latency is not based on your IP address, it is based on how long it takes for the signal to get from the game server to your house. New York City is always 5600 km from London. Your IP address is just your unique identifier on the internet. Latency, also known as "Ping" or "Lag", is simply an indicator of how long it takes a piece of information to get from the game server to you. This won't change, no matter what your IP address is.

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well like said in RTS games online
people are picky with your location
especially when i used to have US IP i always played in US servers [Europe Servers are just full of nubs]
and if you're not from US you are seen as you're always bound to drop, lag...etc
even if i do have a good ping but no-one cares about that.... in this case

im using a SPEEDTOUCH v 585
though from a friend he changed his ip from his router directly i dont knwo if he chatting a load of rubbish or not

Edited by Ereos, 12 April 2008 - 04:26 PM.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Ereos,

Regardless of WHERE you are connecting from, MOST DSL providers use dynamic IP addresses which change. Typically, cable ISPs (at least thoe here in the US that I'm familiar with) assign STATIC or permanent IP addresses. If you;re using DSL, REGARDLESS of what country you're connect from, I would recommend using a Dynamic DNS Service such as DNS2GO.com. This (an similar services), allow you to install a client on your PC which tracks your changing IP address and registers it with a DNS server such that regardless of WHAT you IP address is, you'r IP address can always be resolved as a DOMAIN Name - i.e. EreosUK.com (or whatever domain name you pick that is available.. Service like this typically cost about $20 US Dollars per year - cheaper if you sign up for multiple years.

Check out: http://www.deerfield.com/products/

I'm a DSL subscriber myself and have been very please with DNS2GO.COM for my Dynamic IP DNS service.

If you have any questions, please rely here and I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

- John