Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web pages sometimes not loading in any browsers

• Please log in to reply

Carinny

Carinny

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ever since I ran some antivirus and spyware removal programs a few days ago, my internet has been acting up. A lot of web pages say they're loading but nothing ever shows up no matter how long and sometimes they'll load slightly but just never finish...yet I never get an error message. I've tried loading webpages in both Firefox and IE, but I get the same problem in both browsers.

IE and Firefox are both updated and I've removed all the software that I downloaded, but the problem still persists.

I've even run the winsock thing and it didn't help. I've totally run out of ideas! Help?!

Advertisements

keithy397

keithy397

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Can you undo the changes you made in the anti virus & spyware progs you ran?

If not, have you tried a system restore to just before the point where you ran those progs?

phaino

phaino

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having the exact same problem. I got a virus about a week ago but my AVG Free did not seems to be helping, so purchased/scanned/disinfected with Kaspersky.

My computer is clean now (21 viruses!) and I uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox. Now I am having trouble with certain webpages- namely (so far), google searches (I can get to google but once I hit "search" I get nothing), blogspot pages, hotmail, and this forum (I had to get on my work computer to access). It just loads indefinitely but never gives me a time out page.

I am on a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP Media version. I have a comcast modem and a Linksys wireless router. Someone suggested it might be a router issue my by IBM Thinkpad is working fine. I tried to plug directly in and had the same issue.

I am wondering if I have set some security standard that is blocking certain pages. I defragged, cleaned up, and tried to do a system restore but the machine wouldn't let me restore. ANY help anyone could give me would be so very helpful. I am very frustrated!!

Thank you!

finky

finky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the excat same problem as phaino. Tried clearing cache + cookies. Uninstalled CA antivirus, tried turning off firewall, rebooting comp/router.

No idea what is happening.

Examples of websites that work:
wowhead.com
politiken.dk

Examples of websites that don't load:
wowdb.com
boliga.dk

Is there a unifying thing that seperates these pages?

Google loads fine but stalls when I try to do a search.

Edited by finky, 19 April 2008 - 02:39 AM.

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I am currently having the same problem accessing a webpage, but I hadn't done any anti-virus or changes at all. It just suddenly stopped running one of my websites that I regularly access for work. The site loads fine on all of the other computers I have tried it on, still to no avail. I have now run all forms of spy/ad-ware detection, cleaned my DNS as per another site, and even tried multiple browsers including IE, Firefox, and Safari. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

finky

finky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Apparently I solved this by renaming my firefox.exe to firefox1.exe. Even more strange is the fact that it also solved the IE problems...

phaino

phaino

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Apparently I solved this by renaming my firefox.exe to firefox1.exe. Even more strange is the fact that it also solved the IE problems...

I just tried that.. and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How on earth? I have been working on this problem for DAYS-- I can't believe that something that easy fixed it. You are my hero, Finky!!!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :)

phaino

phaino

• Pip
  • 3 posts
PS> though... it didn't help my Explorer, just my Firefox. .. but I can live with that.

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Just tried the quickfix as suggested to no avail. Both program still doing the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
:) Still having the same issue loading my webpage, wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.

Thanks!

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Just a note, had a computer tech come by, he spent a few hours puttering around, and finally figured out that it was Symantec that was causing it to not load.

-Gords

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Im also using Symantec but i tried disabling all the options and still im not getting the pages.

[bleep].

Any suggestions to replace Symantec ?

Gords

Gords

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Im also using Symantec but i tried disabling all the options and still im not getting the pages.

[bleep].

Any suggestions to replace Symantec ?

The tech actually disabled Symantec completely, and I've been using AVG for a bit now. No issues with it at this time.

coljung

coljung

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well i just removed Symantec.

Then i tried the websites and they seemed to be working.

Then i installed Avast.

Now im back to square one.

None of the websites that weren't wokring before is working now.

I dont know What the... the antivirus are doing to my machine but they keep blocking normal websites ( hotmail, cnn, nytimes, facebook, flickr )

Fkn tired of this thing.

BTW does it happen to anyone that after like 5 minutes pages load but without the css ?

Edited by coljung, 26 April 2008 - 06:58 PM.

magg123

magg123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It worked with me, thanks a lot. Simple fix