Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

MissDixi

MissDixi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help! I can not turn my computer off except by pulling the power plug. When it is on, it cannot communicate with the monitor. The monitor shows the following information but does not respond when I push buttons: GATEWAY To setup, push F12 or Push Tab button. Nothing happens when I push it. I push the turnoff button on the computer itself but it does not respond. How do I resolve this? I have a Dell Monitor and a Computer with a Celeron processor. I am at my wit's end. Thankyou. Miss Dixi :)

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
You must hold the power button down for at least 6 or more seconds for it to shut down the computer.

And your other problems could be a bad keyboard or connection.
Check your connection and try another keyboard. Borrow one or buy one that is not USB. They are not expensive.

If it's a USB keyboard, go into bios setup by pressing f1 or delete to enter the bios.
Find where it says to enable USB keyboard.

-Sometimes the bios will not have the USB support feature. So keep a 9 pin keyboard handy. It plugs in next to the mouse. two round holes in the back of your computer.-

Stevo987653

Stevo987653

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem and fixed it by updated chipset drivers for my motherboard.
Mine happend to be a via chipset...check your motherboard specifications.
- Steve

Link removed. According to our Terms of Use: The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of Geeks to Go. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.

kimimaro

kimimaro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
if you can't shut down your computer ... then there is a problem with it, and it is VERY MUCH SO!!! not recommended that you use other methods of shutting down your computer in the first place...

so you came to the right place... but we don't know enough symptoms to really diagnose your system at this time =P

kimi.

Edited by sari, 14 April 2008 - 08:57 AM.
Removed unhelpful extraneous information

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
will help if you gave us more info...make and model...did you install any new hardware or software recently...did you update windows or any program recently...
what do you mean by this..

When it is on, it cannot communicate with the monitor.