Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MB suggestions please-mostly for work and college.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi everybody.
I've learned much from all of you and now have need of some more input.
I'm putting together a pc that will run XP Pro w/SP2.
I plan on using a Core2 Duo. Maybe as high as E6750 to keep it from becoming obsolete before the end of the month.
I use cable broadband too.

The pc will be used mostly for home business, college courses-no intensive Photoshop or CAD-, music and surfing.
I don't see us doing much with games, if at all.
I would prefer at least 4 external USB, at least 2 external eSATA.
Graphics can be onboard or I can get a card.
I would prefer to not spend more than $150 for the MB.

I've read a whole bunch of reviews and reccomendations in this and other forums and am still a bit hesitant as to the best MB's to look at.
My most important requirement is reliability/stability.
I know that your experience is no guarantee that a board I buy would last, but I'm hoping some of you can share your experience with boards that fit my general requirements.
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If all you want to do is go on the internet and do some typing, then even the E6750 is overkill. A low end E2xxx will do fine. You don't need to spend a fortune, a budget board with onboard graphics would be fine for that, however these probably won't come with eSATA. Just out of interest, why do you feel you need eSATA? If for backup purposes, would a USB pen drive be good enough for your important college documents?

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
The E6750 was mentioned as being more current than other older model designations.
E SATA and USB are choices that will give us a bit more flexibility.
PC will be used for office work including presentations, college course work, music, pictures, etc.. Very little in the way of gaming.
I was just looking for personal experiences of readers with similar needs.
Thanks.
jst42day

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All boards come with USB ports now, eSATA can always be added at a later date.
For what you've said you need the computer for, you don't need an E6750. The speed of your processor makes no difference to your internet speed or your ability to type or ability to print, etc. Therefore you can reduce your cost of this machine by going for a lower end processor and likewise on the motherboard because you don't need such a powerful processor.

Realistically, buying it to stop the machine becoming obsolete is a bit like trying to find the Holy Grail - it isn't going to happen. Intel are changing the socket type shortly anyway so it doesn't matter what you buy today, it's effective already obsolete or will be by the end of this calendar quarter anyway.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Sounds right.
Any suggested combos?
Thanks.
jst42day