Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista always asking product key on startup!

• Please log in to reply

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
So I enter it, and it works. I have no Aero Glass or 3D windows switching though. And I don't want to enter the product key every startup. It happened after I installed the updates a few days ago. Please help.

Advertisements

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings LinkMaster03

Sorry to hear about your Vista activation issues.

I think you are running a reduced functionality mode. How did this happen?

Here is a link from Microsoft.

Vista reduced functionality Mode.

You didnt supply much information, such as additional errors, what you did to try and solve this yourself, make or model or even the version of Vista you were using.

So I can only suggest this is your issue.

Good luck

Kaz.

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Error 0x46 occurred in connecting to the processor on server ..

These are the commands if anyone needs to know. They all come up with that same error:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk (my product key here) 
cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs –ato
cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs –dlv

When I log on to my account, a window comes up and there is a black background. It asks if I want to:

Access my computer with limited functionality
Enter a different product key
Contact TOSHIBA for support

I select enter a product key. I enter it, and my computer is activated fine, and I have full access to my account as usual. But, this happens every single time I log on. I do not want to enter it every time I log on! This started happened when I installed the following updates:

Posted Image

Also, when I am on the computer, Aero Glass and 3D window switching do not work. They worked perfect before those updates, and my system supports it.

Please help.

I am running Vista Home Premium.

Sorry, I hope those help.

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Judging from the information, I'm inclined to agree with Kazzoo. It sounds like the key you are using is either expired, or Vista has not been activated yet. There are a variety of ways to extend the use of the key up to 120 days, but assuming it's a legitimate Vista key, you should be able to activate through MS over the internet, and fully restore Vista's functionality.

The only other thing I can recommend, would be to uninstall the listed updates one at a time, and see if there is a specific one that is causing the issue. I'll post back if I find anything else.

Stew

Edited by StewBizzle, 13 April 2008 - 06:57 PM.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings all

linkmaster03, try this to at least to be able to run the License manager correctly.

Open up a command prompt with administrator rights.

type---->slimgr.vbs -dlv (please note the space between the vbs and the -dlv)

Enter and wait. It may take upto a minute.

You will get a Windows Script Host window that will popup with information about your licensing.

Copy and paste that to this post. At least then we might be able so see what state your license is in.

my computer is activated fine

Did I miss read this?

I have no Aero Glass or 3D windows switching though

Pretty big sign activation isnt right.

Thanks for at least letting us know you are on a laptop Toshiba. Narrows it down a bit.

Have you checked with Toshiba to see if there was any known issues with your make and model?

Regards

Kaz.

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings all

Just seen a typo in the command.

type---->slimgr.vbs -dlv (please note the space between the vbs and the -dlv)

Should be slmgr vs slimgr. Looks like I added an "i" to it.

Regards

Kaz.

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I attempt the command said, this comes up:

Posted Image

I believe the laptop is activated correctly, it just does not remember the key to load Aero Glass on startup.

Posted Image

Edited by LinkMaster03, 14 April 2008 - 08:55 AM.

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can somebody please help me fix the 0x46 error above? I believe it is the problem.

Poocheese

Poocheese

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Try this and see if it doesn't solve your problem.

Open your start menu, right click on Computer, and click on manage. When the window opens look in the left pane and click on Local Users and Groups and then Groups. A new list will show in the middle pane, double click on Administrators to open the properties. Look at the Location box and make sure it's that computer, if not then click on the Location button to change it. Now click on the add button in the properties and a new window should open. In the white box type in SERVICES and press Check Names. After it's done checking, Ok out of everything and restart your PC. Good luck and hope this helps.

Edited by Poocheese, 15 April 2008 - 08:29 PM.

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I don't see Local Users and Groups. I see this:

Posted Image