Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format Help SRX660?

• Please log in to reply

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I'm not sure but I'm using eMachines. The cd says its a System Recovery CD/DVD and it says Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. I press R and it starts to load up and it`ll say Powered by PC Angel and then it`ll try to get to a teal colored screen but it doesn't make it and it gives me a blue screen that says c00021a {Fatal System Error}
the windows log on process system process terminated unexpectedly with status o= 0x000000f0
the system has been shut down.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It looks like you have installed the XP service pack2, so that now when the restore CD looks at the windows folder it does not find the same system that is on the CD so it generates the stop error.

http://support.micro...156669/?sd=RMVP

Probably the easist method now is to find a regular windows XP SP2 Cd and run a repair install from it. You will need to find all the hardware drivers for your computer, so carefully write down each version of the drivers in the device manager.

It is fairly straightforward to identify a driver in Win2000/XP. Click the Start menu, Settings, and Control Panel. WinXP offers two views of the Control Panel. The default is Category View, and Classic View is also available. If you use Win2000 or WinXP in Classic View, double-click System. If you use WinXP in Category View, click Printers And Other Hardware and then click System under the See Also section on the left side of the screen.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button. You’ll notice that there is one extra step compared to opening the Device Manager in Win9x/Me. In Win2000/XP, the Device Manager doesn’t have its own tab but is instead accessible through a button on the Hardware tab. In the resulting Device Manager window, click the View menu and make sure that Devices By Type is selected. If not, click Devices By Type to switch to the proper view. Click the plus sign next to one of the listed device types to view an expanded list of devices. Then double-click the device for which you’d like to check the driver. In the resulting Properties dialog box for the device, click the Driver tab. You’ll see the Driver Date and Driver Version listed.

Perhaps another helper here knows more about this type of problem. I will ask in the trusted help forum. My personal solutions is the XP SP2 CD and a repair Install.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

SRX660

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
What will a repair install do?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A repair install will usually just install the windows files and leave all other data intact on the hard drive. By using a complete wipe the drive and reinstall windows it leaves you with only the Windows Operating System and you lose all data you have put on the computer.

SRX660

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
But if I run a repair won't that just leave the virus in my computer still?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I reread the malware thread and did read that you have recovery console installed on your computer. You will need to use the recovery console to remove SP2 off the computer. You should then be able to use the e-machines recovery CD to reinstall XP on the computer. You will lose all data on the computer and the virus will be gone, as the recovery CD reinstalls every file the computer originally had. You will be back to square one with the OS and will need to reinstall any Microsoft updates again.

Heres how to use the recovery console to remove SP2 from the computer.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD or rc.iso CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and press "Enter".
Note: After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.

At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press "Enter".
Note: The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.

After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press "Enter".

(thank you Wannabe 1)

You should be able to use your recovery CD to reinstall XP on the computer now. If you continue to get error messages trying to install XP, i would think about buying a oem Windows XP CD from Newegg or a similar store and use the CD to wipe the partitions off the drive and start all over installing XP to the blank hard drive.

Please read this website carefully on how to format your drive. You will need to click on the links to the left side for ALL information.

http://www.michaelst...m/format_XP.htm

After the format you should be able to use a OEM Cd to install XP to the computer.

http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

SRX660

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Boot from the Windows XP installation CD or rc.iso CD, what is this disc?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE...

As you have a recovery cd set, that would be your installation cd...but I don't think it includes recovery console. However, if you have installed Recovery Console, it should appear as a boot option when you start your computer...you just have to select it using the appropriate arrow key and press "Enter" to start it.

If you have trouble getting it to run that way, you can download RC.ISO and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning toy like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on. Boot your machine using that disk and press the "R" key at the "Welcome to Setup" screen. You'll then have to select the operating system to log into by number...usually 1. When prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter". You should end up at a prompt (C:\Windows>) where you can input the commands suggested by SRX660.

wannabe1

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
A boot option as in the BIOS settings or like Boot mode or ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It would be a boot option after the initial BIOS screen which would list your operating system at the top and another option under it for recovery console. If you don't see such an option when you start the machine, it may be set to load the operating system by default without displaying the options.

Try creating the rc.iso disk and boot to that.

Advertisements

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Should I get the 64 bit or 32 bit build. I think I have AMD Athlon 64 or that has nothing to do with it lol.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should get the 32 bit.

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
My friend gave me a copy of XP without (registration key) and said that I should reformat my partition. Then when everything in installed I should stick my OEM CD in and let it install my drivers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A retail install cd will not accept the OEM product key.......which you will need to do the install.

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

INNEEDOFHELPPLEASE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thank you for your help guys. I have successfully reformatted my computer by using my friends XP Pro disc. After installing XP Pro I used my XP Media Center System Recovery CD and everythings back to the same old. I downloaded the drivers of the site and I used SRX660's freeware site. At this moment I am using COMODO Firewall, AntiVir and Panda Rootkit scanner. Can you help me with one thing? I would like to know how to stop COMODO from popping up these annoying messages every single time I download or execute a file. I have over 3000 pending views and wish them to be gone and stay gone.