Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASSEMBLING MY FIRST PC

• Please log in to reply

Mr. NiceGuy

Mr. NiceGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ALL MY PARTS JUST CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY. I am very excited and happy.

As I was installing the cpu, I notice it did not come with any thermal compound. Or does the new cpu not need it. I am afraid to boot it up until I get an answer.

Also, I read a lot of reviews that the stock heatsink doesnt do too good. What are some that u guys recommend ???

Advertisements

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You MUST MUST MUST MUST use Thermal Compound. If you have to wait another couple of days to get some in the mail, so be it. If you have a Micro Center or something of that nature close to your house....drive out there and buy some. Don't boot your PC until you get it. I promise you'll be happy you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You must have thermal compound, you'll do serious damage to you're CPU with 30 second if attempt to boot. Take another look, the stock heatsink does come with thermal compound pre-applied.
As far as the stock heatisnk goes, the stock heatsink is fine till you begin to overclock.
James

Mr. NiceGuy

Mr. NiceGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yes thank you. I found out they do have pre-applied compound. Another question is, when i was trying to set up my computer.. is it mandatory to have a wired/direct connect keyboard? I was using a wireless one and it does not work. The keyboard is full functional.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Just from personal experience, I have had the same issues in the past.
I never really did the research on why it wasn't working....I'm sure it's a driver issue.....
I always have a PS2 and a USB keyboard sitting around for new builds.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Most of the time you will need to changed a BIOS option to allow usb keyboards. Of course if it is set to ps/2 by default you will need a ps/2 keyboard to change the setting.