Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving to My Documents folder; not happening

• Please log in to reply

Compfused

Compfused

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Documents folder (which is located on drive D) consists of files and folders with names that have first letters A-D. From letter E-Z on the files and folders are missing in the folder, they don't appear even with the show hidden files option on. The missing files appear as shortcuts in a hidden folder named Recent.
I found one PDF shortcut which states "location: My Documents". The target is "D" but the actual location is C:\Documents and Settings\Recent.
I just saved a notepad titled "Ben", saved as a text file and one titled "Zen". The "Ben" file located and showed in My Documents and created a shortcut in the Recent folder. The "Zen" file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\Recent and has a shortcut there. The target is D:\zen.txt. When I tried to save "Zen" to the Recent folder, an error said I couldn't. When I tried to save "Zen" a second time to My Documents, I was told the file already exists.
Somehow when I save to My Documents, I'm involving the Recent folder. Never heard of this folder before but it seems to have intertwined with My Documents and its save feature. Can anyone help me end this?

Dell 8300 Dimension Desktop
Windows XP Pro
C:\ Maxtor 80G
D:\ Maxtor 80 G
G:\ Seagate (external) 375G

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Did you install windows on the D:\ Drive?
Or did you just move the My Documents folder to the D:\ Drive?
If you moved it, then how did you move it?

Regards,
Olrik

Compfused

Compfused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No. It was a few years ago, but I think I went to Start, then right clicked My Documents, clicked Properties then clicked the option Move.