Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall option lost in Programs and Features

• Please log in to reply

riceorony

riceorony

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone

I have discovered something most peculiar.

Heres the time line of events:
1.) I reformatted my computer back to factory conditions (Lenovo Thinkpad T61) on 03/25/08
*All I did during this day was install the OS, install microsoft office 2007, install all microsoft updates, install AIM and Windows Messenger Live
2.) On 03/26/08, I installed Counterspy v2 (purchased) and ZA ISS version 7.1.248 on my computer
3.) A few days ago I go to "Programs & Features" and the option to remove or "uninstall" a multitude of programs is not available, the only ones that I can uninstall are ZA ISS version 7.1.248 and other programs installed later (meaning 03/26/2008 to present).
4.) I went to the registry and checked the Uninstall folder, and the only files there are for programs I installed after ZA ISS version 7.1.248, and the values for Adobe Acrobat are changed from (0) to (1).

I do not believe this could be due to any infection since the computer was only formatted less than 2 weeks prior, and to verify I've done scans with ZA ISS, counterspy v2, superantispyware, avg antispyware, **bleep** online, and pandasecurity online.

I've also checked my current HiJack This! log and compared it to the day after formatting (all looks the same)

Did ZA 7.1.248 some how remove all the registry items on accident?

Or, as I've been reading ~25 other forums, is this just bad luck because some program I uninstalled removed all the other registry items for the other programs?

The only programs I've uninstalled PRIOR to 03/26/2008 were:
1.) Driver for my CD/DVD drive because I had to get a new one (reader was out)
2.) Mozilla Firefox because for some reason I always have to install the program 2 times. After the 1st install and reboot, I get this "Chrome Registration Error" for the last 4 years. So I uninstall it, and reinstall. Everything works afterwards.

When I go to the registry (Start>Run>regedit) and locate the folder containing the uninstall information for all the programs (e.g. User Local Machine > Current Version > Microsoft > Windows > Uninstall) the folder is empty except for programs installed after 03/26/2008 (e.g. Zone Alarm, Super antispyware, Adobe Flash player, AVG antispyware, etc.)

Anything installed from the format date (03/25/2008) to 03/26/2008 has the option to Uninstall missing (e.g. Microsoft Office 2007, AIM, MSN Live, Counterspy v2, etc.), also, not all the programs installed between these dates are listed (like the AIM program is not listed with the rest, and it looks pretty funky

For example, if u could see it, programs that I've never seen listed before in the 6 yrs i've used laptops are shown (like preinstalled mCore, mDriver for IBM), the office 2007 items are all broken down into 20 files some listing multiple languages...)

Registry meltdown?

Posted Image

Advertisements

Phenix

Phenix

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Can't you highlight the entries then click uninstall/change at the top? Hard to tell in your picture but looks like its clickable

If the programs are no longer installed Vista should tell you that it cannot find the program and ask if you would like it removed from programs and features

riceorony

riceorony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The only entries that can be installed have a date next to them (after 03/26/2008), if I highlite any other entry (installed between 03/25/2008 to 03/26) then I cant uninstall.

The reason the "uninstall" button is visible is because I highlighted an entry that I could uninstall while my mouse was pointing at another entry.

All the programs on the list are still working, and the uninstall.exe files for each program are located in the corresponding folders if I search for them using the explore feature.

However, if I type regedit and look at the registry files in the uninstall folder, they are all missing except for the newer programs.

Thanks for your helps guys!