Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply

liner13

liner13

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm new to Geeks to Go and so I'm not quite sure this is where I need to be looking but I need to know how to clean up the C drive on my computer. I'm not completely computer illiterate and know a little bit about this but I can't seem to find any more operating space. I have two factory installed drives on my computer: C drive with like 13 Gb total usable space, and the D drive with 65 Gb or so of usable space. The problem is that the C drive is FULL. I have 113 Mb left on it but I've cleared all of the files that I have ever put on it as well as programs that I subsequently switched to the D drive. Disk Cleanup says I can free up about 1Gb through the deletion of temporary files and I'm wondering if I should actually do that, if there's some way to free up more space than that or if there's any other place to look or anything else I can do. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can cleanup and gain 1 gig of space you are not taking very good care of the computer. I run disk cleanup every week. I also get rid of all cookies and temp internet files weekly also.

Second thing i think of is, Why are you running a 13 gig drive as "C". Hard drives are so cheap that you could buy a 160 gig HD (EDIE) for about $50.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136112

SRX660

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Use their-party programs:

CCleaner
EasyCleaner
ATF Cleaner

And the list goes on...

liner13

liner13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As far as I know my cookies are all gone and the temp internet files only take up like 150 Mb. It's the "temporary files" which is another category that take up almost a gig. I'm wondering if I can delete those without damaging anything. Also, it's a Sony Vaio notebook and I wouldn't know how to install a new hard drive especially so I could actually still operate my computer. I'm aware that my computer isn't in very good shape but now I'm interested in learning how to fix it and maintain it in that condition.

What do those programs do?

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
They all remove files that take up space on your computer. They only remove files that are uncessary. If you don't have room to install them on your computer, they are portable and can be installed onto a USB thumb drive. Here are links:

CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/features
EasyCleaner - http://personal.inet...rts/ecleane.htm
ATF Cleaner - http://www.atribune....c...5&Itemid=25

ATF Cleaner is stand-alone and doesn't require installation. You can find a version of CCleaner that is already in a folder and doesn't require installation at this website. Download the one called CCleaner v2.06.567 - Portable

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

They only remove files that are uncessary.

CCleaner can remove files that you may not want it to remove. It is a more powerful program but IMO it should only be used if you really know what you are doing.

For the everyday user ATF Cleaner does just fine.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
If you use CCleaner without changing any settings or modifying which files to remove, it works fine. If you choose the wrong this, it will remove files that contain data for Auto Fill Forms, Saved Passwords, cookies used for auto-login, etc.

liner13

liner13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, ATF worked just fine to clean up the 1 gig of files that I already knew I could clean up. Is there anything else that I can do to cleanup space that I'm not aware of? There aren't any files on there at all and programs are only the minimal ones so as far as my knowledge goes I'm out of ideas.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
In Windows XP you can disable hibernation by doing the following:

1. Open Power Options in Control Panel

2. Select the Hibernate tab

3. Clear the checkbox for enabling hibernation

That will free up some space.

Edited by spaztastic, 15 April 2008 - 08:08 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Just thought I'd make a mention to keep your hard drive defragmented. It's not going to free up any extra space, but with a hard drive so full, keeping it in order will help it be as fast as it can.

I personally recommend Jkdefrag, you can download it from my signature. It's much better than the standard Windows defragmenter.

Cheers

Troy