Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No more letters to assign to external hard drives

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

I have 19 ext hdds. I'm running out of letters in the alphabet to assign new ones. Is there anything that I can do :) ?

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Hi,

I have 19 ext hdds. I'm running out of letters in the alphabet to assign new ones. Is there anything that I can do :) ?

Hi:

The only thing I can suggest is to Map the drives in windows that you need when you need to access them, and then unmap the drives. If you have 19 drives Only mount those that you need to access, then remove the drive mapping when you are done. The hard disks take some of those letters, so you would have to account for those as well.

This way, your drives are available when you need them, and all your drive letters can be assigned as needed - of course, you would probably network 2 machines to do what I am suggesting - I am not sure if there is any other way to do this, but I am sure that someone may have an idea :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I thought that was about the only solution to the problem but I wanted to check anyway. An obvious choice of buying larger ext hdds and move the contents of smaller ext hdds would suit my wallet right now.

Thanks for responding Brian. :)